Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

stanw

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Aug 29, 2007
I plan to get a new iPhone 6S plus when it's released. I know it will be a while before the jb for it is released, though I know very little about jb in general. The things I am most interested in are being able to use my Unlimited data for tethering with my verizon account, using two apps at the same time on the screen similar to what can now be done on an iPad, and maybe just having a calendar widget and list of things to do widget on my home screens like can be done with android.

1. Can the jb let you use any apps on the screen at the same time or is it limited to only certain apps?
2. Are there only certain widgets that can be used with a jb or can I somehow make a calendar widget and one for my trello to do list etc.
3. Does doing any of this compromise my security? Most important to me is that by doing the jb, I can feel confident in using my device the same way I do before the jb without worrying about someone seeing my data, etc.

Thanks.

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Aug 31, 2011
1. Can the jb let you use any apps on the screen at the same time or is it limited to only certain apps?
There is a tweak I think for that, but you need the 6+ and iOS 8. If there is a JB for iOS9 you will have to wait for the dev to update the tweak. Some devs get on it right away, others can take a while.

2. Are there only certain widgets that can be used with a jb or can I somehow make a calendar widget and one for my trello to do list etc.
There are many widgets and at least two types I know of offhand. iWidgets and Cydgets. iWidgets use HTML code, so if you are handy with that and iPhone development you could probably create your own.

However there are certainly many calender iWidgets out there already and since it's HMTL code it should work across all devices.
3. Does doing any of this compromise my security? Most important to me is that by doing the jb, I can feel confident in using my device the same way I do before the jb without worrying about someone seeing my data, etc.
Non jailbreakers like to throw this boogeyman out there. Yes, jailbreaks use exploits to gain access to the device so we can all benefit. But if the JB devs put those exploits out to the general public two things would happen. Apple would patch the exploits and there would be retaliation on the devs.

To exploit your phone in the same way then, someone would have to know the same thing the devs know.

So, security wise, a freshly jailbroken iPhone is just as secure as a non-jailbroken iPhone. However, what YOU the user do from that point CAN, by your own hand, compromise your security. If you install OpenSH but do not change the default passwords, you open yourself up. If you use tweaks from sketchy repos or physically allow others to handle your device out of your sight you open yourself up.

The thing about jailbreaking that many fail to understand (and which causes problems later) is that the responsibility for the security of your devices switches from Apple to YOU when you jailbreak. If you are careful and responsible you won't have any problems.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.