New to Mac! Advice for my new MBP :)

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by EmptyG, Feb 16, 2007.

1. EmptyG macrumors regular

Questions:

Hi all! I am brand new to this forum and am thinking about (who am I kidding, GOING VERY SOON)getting a MacBook Pro. I like the 15incher and have been getting very excited about it.

I do need ask a few questions...

ORDERING ----------------------------------------------
    1) It lists the configuration (to order) FOR RAM for either:
    2GB 667 DDR2 SDRAM - 2x1GB
    or
    3GB 667 DDR2 SDRAM - 1x2GB, 1x1GB
    My problem is I want to buy RAM separately (for much cheaper) and add it later. When I talked to a sales guy on the Apple site (via the chat), I asked him if I could just get one 2GB stick and leave the other slot open. He said no, they cannot be ordered that way. Any reason why? He didn't tell me.

2) I want a faster RPM hard drive than the one they listed (a 7200 rpm if possible). My options from Apple are:
    - 120GB Serial ATA Drive @ 5400 rpm
    - 160GB Serial ATA Drive @ 5400 rpm
    - 200GB Serial ATA Drive @ 4200 rpm
    What's the best way to order one (if possible) with a diff hard drive? Should I just buy the hard drive I want somewhere else and replace it? Any solutions are VERY helpful here :) Trying to keep the cost down and still get what I want ;)

ONCE I GET IT ---------------------------------------

3) Outputting to my HDTV - I have a 32" LCD HDTV with HDMI inputs. What's the best way to connect this to my HDTV? Adapter? And special cable I will need?

4) Display - any opinions on the display (glossy or matte)? I heard glossy gets more fingerprints, but shows sharper colors and more vivid images.

I am sure I will have more questions, and I apologize for the noobish-ness (I am a complete Apple n00b here). The only thing I own (or have owned) by Apple is an iPod (which I loooooooove) :)

Thanks for any help!!! :)

2. EmptyG thread starter macrumors regular

3. nightsky macrumors member

SATA Mac book HD

Mac mall is advertising SATA HDs in their MacPro Books. I wonder why mac mall offers sata hdd when Apple store doesn't?

4. maxrobertson macrumors 6502a

As for the display, I'd recommend going to an apple store and taking a look for yourself to see which one you prefer. All MacBooks have glossy, so if they don't have any MacBook Pros out there with them...

5. jsw Moderator emeritus

jsw

No... they just prefer that you order RAM from them, so they make sure you have to eat the cost of theirs in order to replace it. A 1x1GB option would be nice.
    I think it's sad they don't offer the 7200 RPM drive for the 15". It might be because they fear overheating, as those drives are a bit hotter. If you're going to replace it (no trivial feat in the MBP), get the cheapest one you can when you order the MBP.
    A DVI->HDMI adapter should work quite well.
    I've had bad luck with the matte 15" screens, and so, unless you have a clear preference, I'd go with glossy. Personal opinion.
    They do. Serial ATA = SATA.

6. EmptyG thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks for the replies! I did go to the local Apple store here and found the following answers from the guys working there...

- HDD - they had no clue. They said they were sure you could order a 7200rpm drive, but for some reason you can only do it on the 17" MBP. They suggest I call apple and ask about that.

- RAM - the rep said "it's bad to have one slot open, it can slow stuff down and not work as well as it should". My BS meter immediately went off. Gimme a break, if that was the truth, then that would indicate a huge design flaw. I am probably going to to for the 2GB and then replace it down the road, if necessary. But no way am I paying another $575 for 1 GB of RAM. That is just highway robbery!

- HDMI OUTPUT - yeah they said the same thing, just a simple DVI->HDMI connector. Which is cool because I already have one. :) But what about the sound? I forgot to ask about that :)

- Matte vs. Glossy - it really is just a preference. I really liked the look of the glossy screen, so i'll likely go with that one.

Thanks again for the help so far. MOST helpful :)

7. Freyqq macrumors 68040

the ram thing is actually true to a point. Yes, having matching pairs of ram does speed up things a bit (512x2 is faster than 1024x1)..that's not a mac thing but the way ram works these days...but i don't think the difference is really that big.

HDD thing..the 160 gig hd is parallel writing or something like that and is suppose to get 7200 rpm performance

8. EmptyG thread starter macrumors regular

Can you elaborate a bit on that? I am afraid I don't follow. Are you saying the 160GB HDD is actually running at the equivalent of 7200rpm speed?