new to mac and a couple of questions

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by galloman, Jul 31, 2006.

1. galloman macrumors member

Hi all,

after some time of playing with my first and only mac I've really come to enjoy it quite a lot. I installed windows yesterday for my mec. eng. apps that are windows only and that I will be needing for school.

My questions are the following.

Since I bought this computer, the spaced consumed by apple apps right out of the box has been ridiculous ( I had 56 gb out of 80) and now since I installed msn messenger and windows I only have 51. I know this is quite a lot, but still bothers me that a new computer has "only" this much since I still have the rest of the computer's life ahead.

I was reading the manuals and it says there that I can reinstall the bundled apps in the future should I wish so, so (finally going down to the question)

is garageband and all of the iapps included in the bundled software? I'm a mechanical eng. major so I have no need of garageband or the such at all and would like to erase it to free up some space, but still want to know if I can put it on again later on in case I ever want to sell it or something

and two, running omnisweeper I see that the library has 9 or 10 gb out of the 17 used up and the apps only has 4, If I do erase garage band or some of the iapps by dragging the apps icon to the trash, do all of their files in the library also go away and free up my disc??

sorry this is this long but I'm a total newbie in macs and wanna mess up as little as possible

thanks in advance.

2. mduser63 macrumors 68040

mduser63

Deleting Garageband is fine, you can always reinstall from the discs that came with your Mac. You will want to remove the Garageband files in the Library folder. They're huge and unless you delete those as well, deleting Garageband itself won't do much good.

If it makes you feel any better, I deleted Garageband from my PowerBook a long time ago, as I too have no use for it and the space was nice to have.

3. galloman thread starter macrumors member

and how do I

do it? how do I get rid of the file in the library folder. i know that garageband itself can be erased by just dragging the little guitar to the trash but then how do I erase the rest of it. The main problem for me is identifying those files and finding them. thanks a lot

4. d wade macrumors 65816

d wade

use spotlight?

just be careful deleting stuff that comes installed on your HD.

5. galloman thread starter macrumors member

this is going to sound awfully stupid

but I'm dead serious, what to I type in the search field?

sorry and thanks again.

6. mduser63 macrumors 68040

mduser63

Delete these folders (by dragging them to the trash):

/Library/Audio/Apple Loops/Apple/Apple Loops for GarageBand
    /Library/Application Support/GarageBand

That should take care of the big files. There might be a couple other files, but they're probably quite small and don't matter. You can use Spotlight to search for "Garageband" in order to find them.