New to Mac, buying a MacBook Pro -- Suggestions reqd.

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by sandy44, Dec 3, 2006.

1. sandy44 macrumors newbie

Ok atlast I am buying my dream machine. A MacBook Pro .. but am confused between the lower and the higher end model.

Which one is the best bet for the buck ??

How much difference in speed is there between a 2.16GHz and 2.33 Ghz processor ??

Should I upgrade my HDD if at any point of time I want to install windows using a boot camp ?? I might need it for some accounting softwares used in school !!

I suppose that RAM can always be upgraded at a later point of time. Apple prices for an upgrade seem to be a rip off.

Please suggest and provide suggestions.

2. mattcube64 macrumors 65816

mattcube64

Okay, take my responses with a grain of salt, as I'm no expert. But from what I've gathered trolling the forums, this is what I've learned:

The processor isn't necessarily a huge jump. You'll likely not need it unless you plan on maxing out the CPU with heavy photoshop loads or graphic design. The speed increase isn't necessary for accounting software.

HDD space depends on how much content you'll want to save. If you just need a small partition of Windows to run a couple spreadsheets, I wouldn't worry about it. If you're going to put games on the Windows partition, remember they can take 7 or 8 gigs apiece. If you plan on saving a lot of media, ie videos, then upgrade. If you're just saving documents, the space isn't needed.

For the most part, even the biggest of Apple fanboys will agree that Apple's RAM prices are ridiculous. RAM is incredibly easy to upgrade yourself, and you can find it much cheaper on sites like Newegg.

Hope that helps.

3. ero87 macrumors 65816

ero87

Apple's RAM prices have actually gone down as of late. And most Mac problems are caused by faulty 3rd party RAM. and buying RAM later means that you have to open up your beautiful machine.

Get at least 1 gb of RAM (2 might even be a good deal, it will help your machine).

I'd also consider a MacBook (non-pro). What "pro" features do you know? The only advantages of the MBP are look, display size, graphics (As far as I know, am I missing something?). I would get a MacBook and load it up with 2 GB of RAM. Cheap, powerful, durable!

4. iBookG4user macrumors 604

iBookG4user

He said the MBP was his dream machine (just as it was mine), and if he's like me, then any reasoning wouldn't convince him :)D). But yeah, you are missing somethings, first it has a FireWire 800 port, backlit keyboard, traditional keyboard that doesn't feel awkward to type on and it feels like a better machine.

And to the OP, I suggest upgrading the hard drive to 160GB just incase you need it in the future. (I wish I had upgraded mine, as 80GB is rather filled right now).

5. sandy44 thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for your advice guys ... I did not know that 3rd party RAM could have caused a problem.

Upgrading the HDD, Yeah am looking into it .. Might be able to afford it with the lower end model ...

One main difference between the MacBook and the Pro version is the glossy screen .. Am not a huge fan of it and MBP has an option to choose between the glossy and the other one whereas MB does not.

Now if I am not mistaken I can get the APP until one year since the day I bought my MBP .. Rite ?? Can anyone confirm this please.

6. iBookG4user macrumors 604

iBookG4user

I also dislike glossy screens (uneven backlighting on my dad's Sony Vaio and it doesn't appeal to me, same story with my sister's HP). And you are correct, you can buy apple care up to one year after you buy the computer, as apple care just extends the complementary warranty.

7. ero87 macrumors 65816

ero87

yeah i don't like glossy either! Otherwise I love the MacBook.

I'm convinced that Apple gave the MacBooks glossy screens just to make it worse than the MBP.

8. sandy44 thread starter macrumors newbie

Thank you Guys ... Ordered my MBP two days ago and I see that it has been shipped from China .. today .. would be getting it next week !!! Wooo Hooo !!

Cant Wait .. anymore ...

Now I am quite acquainted with the MAC OS, have used it intermittently from time to time ... But lately all development that I have been involved has been windows based and am out of touch .. with the MAC OS....

Can anyone point me to the resources which would provide me a jumpstart and some detailed information about all the tips and tricks !!! :)