New to Mac: Coupla questions...

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by Ron SCott, Mar 17, 2007.

1. Ron SCott macrumors newbie

Mar 17, 2007
    Enough with the house full of Dells. Time for a Mac.

Been thinking of an iMac 20, primarily for my wife and daughter (daughter runs a Macbook off the wireless now) and for my use as a Photoshop box. I'm a fairly light photo user.

1. Can I run VPN off the iMac or should I keep a Dell around for that?

2. Will the upcoming Leopard release be a Leopard-only release or will there be other soft and/or hard goodies? I can wait a couple of months to buy.

3. What will an extra gig of RAM do for us? Not sure I need it.

Thanks in advance for the help!

2. psychofreak Retired

May 16, 2006
    iLife and iWork 07 should be coming for iMacs, the rumours spreading now are h.264 encoding/decoding...
    I think that 1 gig of RAM will make your OS X experience nice and smooth...
  3. lamina macrumors 68000

Mar 9, 2006
    From Canada, living in Seoul
    1. Yes you can

2. There are rumors of the iLife 07 suite being held back due to Leopard-only features. I would personally wait till Leopard is released to buy, who knows when the next speed bump will be

3. An extra gig over the 1GB in there already? Unfortunately the 1GB it comes with is in 2 512's, and there are only 2 slots... Personally I think you'd do well with the 1GB it comes with, and if you feel later on that you would like an upgrade, you can pop a 1GB stick in there and have 1.5GB. My problem with Apple is that their RAM upgrades are kinda pricey. An extra $175US for an upgrade to 2GB...

I run OS X and XP. I'd say the most intense thing my iMac does is run Flight Simulator X. It runs it great, and I have the first revision 17" core duo with 1GB of RAM.

Hope this helps.
  4. Ron SCott thread starter macrumors newbie

Mar 17, 2007