New to Mac games, couple questions

Discussion in 'Games' started by talltree, Feb 5, 2006.

1. talltree macrumors newbie

Feb 5, 2006
    Hi all,

New to Mac gaming. I'm running 10.4.4 on a G5 2g tower.

1. I've finished Halo (says v 1.02 when I hit Get Info). I've gone through it a few times. Is there any cheats that I can use that'll give advantages, such as god mode, or never-get-killed mode? If so, how do I access those.

2. I like first-person shooters. Where is the definitiive list of all mac games like this? I actually played Oni back in OS9, loved it. Where can I find the entire list of these types of games.

3. Where do you all buy your games? So far, I've found Amazon to be the cheapest, but would like to know where others purchase.

many thanks. Glad I found this forum.
  2. HiRez macrumors 603

Jan 6, 2004
    Western US
  3. talltree thread starter macrumors newbie

Feb 5, 2006
    Thanks, HiRez. I'd been to that site before, but was never able to find any codes or cheats for the Mac version of Halo. I could be missing it, though. Have you ever found a Halo cheat?
  4. HiRez macrumors 603

Jan 6, 2004
    Western US
    I don't play Halo, but in most cross-platform games, the cheat codes are the same, so I'd look under the PC version. Also sometimes the cheat codes are not in the "Codes" section, but are actually listed in walkthroughs or whatever. Most 3D games have some kind of console you can pull up to type commands into, so you just need to find out how to bring it up. Sometimes they also involve editing text configuration files. However. a quick search reveals that there may actually not be any cheat codes for Mac Halo (Bungie swears there is not). Oh well!
  5. talltree thread starter macrumors newbie

Feb 5, 2006
    Heck, I didn't even know that some games plain don't have hidden cheats. Thanks again for the info, HiRez.
  6. FongMan macrumors regular

Feb 4, 2006
    Is there any news about Black & White 2 for Mac?
  7. pknz macrumors 68020

Mar 22, 2005
    Bizzare really.
  8. link92 macrumors 6502

Aug 15, 2004
    Why should the devs code something that's hidden? Why should the devs code something most people won't use?
  9. GFLPraxis macrumors 604

Mar 17, 2004
    Who cares if there is no cheats- you can hack the game files and create your own :D

Starfleet Command 3 was one such PC game with no cheats. I got the hang of modding the ship specs files and made uberships, then I started converting models of Star Wars ships to the appropriate format and adding them into the game with accurate specs.
  10. Nermal Moderator

Staff Member

Dec 7, 2002
    New Zealand
    Back in the old days, the cheat codes were for the devs. They'd use them to skip known-good parts of the games and get to where the bugs are.
  11. Eric5h5 macrumors 68020

Dec 9, 2004
    To be released sometime this year.

As far as Halo goes, upgrade it to 1.5.2. It's quite a bit improved. As far as buying Mac games, I've bought almost all of mine from either or Dunno about a definitive list of first person shooters...there's a patch for Oni so that it runs on OS X. Quake 4 is to be released soon, and Call of Duty 2 is on its way sooner or later.

12. neonart macrumors 65816

Sep 4, 2002
    Near a Mac since 1993.
    1. No cheat codes for Halo unfortunately. Many have searched and I think so far it's been a no-go.

2. Not sure of that definitive list, but here are a few good ones:
    Call of Duty, Ghost Recon, Star Trek Elite Force II, UT, Quake, Close Combat:First to Fight, Doom3, Medal of Honor, Splinter Cell (3rd person). Im sure I missed some, maybe someone else will suggest more.
    Here you con find most mac games available:

3. Amazon is good. Sometimes Microcenter has good deals. You can also buy used games from some of the members of this forum in the classified section. Or put a want-to-buy post.

Mac gaming can be alot of fun. Yes, it's more limited, but there are rewards. Personally I enjoy going from online banking to a quick game of Rise of Nations. Or from any other productive activity to a really good game. With a good machine (like you have) you should have no issues.
  13. talltree thread starter macrumors newbie

Feb 5, 2006
    Neo, great info! Many thanks. I'm checking out some of those games you mentioned now....