new to mac - how do i split avi files without having to convert them?

Discussion in 'Digital Video' started by manhole, Jan 19, 2007.

1. manhole macrumors newbie

hello

when i used windoz i would use virtualdub to edit large avi files of tv/movies to make them smaller and stuff, it would just splice out clips of avi segments that i wanted to save without converting them to anything intermediate, then i could join them all as segments

is there anyway to do this in mac?

this is what i know so far

imovie HD seems only to work with DVD video
    clip creator converts everything to quicktime
    simple video editor only lets you make one splice

is there anything that can extract avi clips in mac liks virtual dub?

if not, what is the effect of all these programs converting avi (divx?) files to quicktime when they splice them? quicktime isnt a codec right?

is ther any intro to mac video anybody can point me to? is the size and quality of avi files effected by automatic conversion to quicktime format? aer they stil divx files within quicktime format?

confused
    manhole

2. projektor macrumors newbie

projektor

Sorry, I recommended this app without testing its divx export capabilities. Apparently, it cannot save straight to divx and so re-encoding would be necessary. I usually just do such operations under windows using Parallels.

--old post--
    MPEG Streamclip does just that and more:

http://www.squared5.com/svideo/mpeg-streamclip-mac.html

3. Lovesong macrumors 65816

Lovesong

Spend the $20 and get yourself a Pro version of Quicktime. Then get the free divX codec. From there you can open these files straight up, and Export them to whatever size/format/compression type you please.

4. ChrisA macrumors G4

For this kind of simple editing Quicktime Pro is the simplest solution. AVI and QT are both what they call "containers" and can hold various types of encoded media.

iMovie works with DV format and if you need to chop up some footage and reassemblethe clips it works well. Depending on how many cuts you have it may be worth transcoding to DV and using iMove. But QT Pro will do simple cuts and slices

5. timswim78 macrumors 6502a

timswim78

What type of quality loss can one expect when doing this?