Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

sheth

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 11, 2006
Hi everyone, i've seen Mac Pro and i went :eek: about it, my friends and almost everyone i know when i talk to them about me needing a new PC they always say try to go for a Mac but i always reply with couple of questions i would like to have good answers from you coz they never actually showed me why i should go for a Mac and they always go with all the power a Mac has and how elegent it looks for me that's basicly a typical pro-mac answer... please help lol am a total noob when it comes to Mac...

does Mac Pro run windows ? am a total noob when it comes to Mac for me when i think about it it's like Xbox running a PS2 game sometimes it's possible with some hacks and stuff mainly 3rd party programs but my main concern is does Appel support that or not, what made me consider a Mac is Mac Pro and the Intel chip, will i be able to boot any OS i want ? and have total no problems with drivers? this is mainly the software part...

about the hardware will a Mac Pro be ok with any normal PC hardware Harddrives, RAM, DVD drives, and most importantly graphic cards will it be ok to install any ATI or Nvidia PC graphic cards ?

if all this is possible with Mac Pro is it bug free ? espcially with games...

thanks alot in advance if there is an official Apple site that answers those questions please guide me, i used the search and didnt find any one asking any of those questions for Mac Pro. thanks again.

Cameront9

macrumors 6502a
Aug 6, 2006
sheth said:
Hi everyone, i've seen Mac Pro and i went :eek: about it, my friends and almost everyone i know when i talk to them about me needing a new PC they always say try to go for a Mac but i always reply with couple of questions i would like to have good answers from you coz they never actually showed me why i should go for a Mac and they always go with all the power a Mac has and how elegent it looks for me that's basicly a typical pro-mac answer... please help lol am a total noob when it comes to Mac...

does Mac Pro run windows ? am a total noob when it comes to Mac for me when i think about it it's like Xbox running a PS2 game sometimes it's possible with some hacks and stuff mainly 3rd party programs but my main concern is does Appel support that or not, what made me consider a Mac is Mac Pro and the Intel chip, will i be able to boot any OS i want ? and have total no problems with drivers? this is mainly the software part...

about the hardware will a Mac Pro be ok with any normal PC hardware Harddrives, RAM, DVD drives, and most importantly graphic cards will it be ok to install any ATI or Nvidia PC graphic cards ?

if all this is possible with Mac Pro is it bug free ? espcially with games...

thanks alot in advance if there is an official Apple site that answers those questions please guide me, i used the search and didnt find any one asking any of those questions for Mac Pro. thanks again.

1) The Mac Pro will run windows, at least eventually. Apple's own scheme to make this work, called BootCamp, allows you to partition your harddrive (without erasing it), install Windows XP, and create a driver disc. However, at this time, the driver disc doesn't work. You can still use XP, but you've got to find your own drivers.

There is another solution from Parallels, inc, which allows you to book Windows in a Virtual machine environment. It too, is not currently working, but I'm sure it will soon.

A third company, VMWare is also positioned to begin offering a virtual machine solution.

So in sum, Yes, you can boot whatever OS you want. Even Linux, actually, though some work-arounds are necessary to get it to run.

2)The Mac Pro should work with All PC hardware (at least, that it supports). Currently, it seems you can put whatever PCIe graphics card you want in it, but if it doens't have the proper Mac OS X driver, you won't be able to use it for OS X. You should still be able to boot into Windows and utilize the Windows drivers, though. So you could easily have two graphics cards--one for mac and one for Windows--to do what you want.

Bug Free? That's hard to tell--the mac pro is brand new, after all, and running Windows can cause some issues. But I'd wager that it is relatively error-free.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.