New to Mac, looking to buy iMac

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by pancho, Oct 16, 2006.

1. pancho macrumors newbie

I decided I want to get an iMac Intel Core 2 Duo 24" for working, specially now that I can run windows on it, but I have a few questions:

1- It comes with OS X Tiger right? And it's CDs too, correct?

2- Is there anyway I can plug an external VGA/DVI on the iMac and use it as a monitor? I ask that because I want to play my Xbox 360 on it. If not, can anyone recommend Elgato's eyetv hybrid?

3- Can I use my Microsoft USB wireless keyboard and mouse on the iMac?

4- What about my home theater, can I use it on the iMac (standard jack cable)?

5- I currently share my internet connection with Windows' ICS (my main PC has 2 network cards, the first receives the cable connection and the second sends it out to a hub), will it work on the iMac?

6- Can I run 720p videos on it? What about 1080p?

7- Silly question, can it burn CDs/DVDs?

Thanks in advance

2. gauchogolfer macrumors 603

gauchogolfer

Ok, here we go. Good choice on the iMac, by the way. :)

Yep, it will come with Tiger installed, with a DVD copy as well.

Yep, you can use the DVI-out connection to hook up one additional monitor.

This should also work just fine.

Not exactly sure what connections you need, but there is DVI-out, and optical audio as well.

Internet sharing will be fine as well.

720p for sure, as well as 1080i. I'm not certain about 1080p, but I would imagine it would work.

Your iMac will come with a DVD burner, yes.

3. pancho thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks gauchogolfer, that was fast!

Just regarding number 2, you mean I can hook up another monitor and have dual monitors? If thats the case, good to know, but what I meant is, can I use the iMac itself as a monitor only? For example, say I have a windows PC with DVI out, can I plug it on the iMac and use it as the monitor for the windows PC?

[edit]
    Also, for the home theater, just a standard jack cable, the same one you use for earphones. Does it have an output for earphones, if yes than it will work for sure.

4. Chundles macrumors G4

Chundles

Sorry mate, you can't use the iMac as a monitor only - it has no video in function. People have reported some success using a TV tuner from Elgato that has an S-Video in on the device but you'd have to check that out. Out of the box, no, it's not possible to use the iMac as a monitor for a secondary video input.

Yes, the iMac has both analogue (standard 3.5mm jack like the one on nearly all headphones) and digital (optical but requiring a special toslink-minijack adapter) sound output and input. It will work just fine with your home theatre.

I'd check out the iMac website, especially the Technical Specifications for answers to the rest of your questions.

5. pancho thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks, you guys covered it all. Off to buy it now :)