New to mac, need file help.

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by theimp, Feb 6, 2007.

1. theimp macrumors member

I am trying to burn a DVD in iDVD. The movie I have is too long it is like 2 and half hours as opposed to 120. So I want to just split it in half or something and burn it to two DVD's. I went to put it into iMovie and the file is taking FOREVER to load. Is there any way to split the file in half without opening in in iMovie, even if I have to download some other program.

Thanks!

2. TAV macrumors regular

What is the file format of the source file (the one you want to split)?

3. theimp thread starter macrumors member

4. Drewswa77 macrumors member

You could upgrade to Quicktime Pro. Then you could easily split the file into 2 movies. And you can choose the best point to cut them. It's $29 I think.

5. theimp thread starter macrumors member

ok cool, thanks. if anyone has free-er suggestions tell me, but i am thinking about upgrading.

6. Mernak macrumors 6502

Here is a trick for importing video to iMovie without reconverting it into the same format it already was. First, open up the iMovie project by right clicking the project icon, then "show package contents". Then drag the movie to "Media", open up the project in iMovie. And viola! it shows up in the trash (in iMovie) and you don't need to convert it, just drag it to the right hand side of the screen (where the clips go). Then cut it and encode. Unfortunately, the encoding still take forever.