New to Mac .... Need Mail Assistance

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by skymast, Feb 4, 2006.

1. skymast macrumors newbie

Hi -- I finally pulled the trigger and have a powerbook. I ork in a PC world and need some assistance on the ticking the best mail program (based on compatability with Outlook) as well as converting my PC based Outlook file over to the new program. Thx, in advance.

2. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

Microsoft Entourage. Lots of people use it.

It comes with MS Office for the Mac, but I don't know if you can get it for free. Probably not.

3. MisterMe macrumors G4

MisterMe

You have two choices. Mail has Exchange settings. If your Exchange server has a "standard" setup, then Mail will discover them, iCal will pick-up your Exchange calendar, and Address Book will pick-up your Exchange contacts. If it works, it will work great. If it your Exchange server does not work with the MacOS X triumverate of Mail/Address Book/iCal, you have another option. That option is Microsoft's own POS called Exchange 2004. It is slightly more forgiving of Exchange configurations than Apple's free offerings. Entourage 2004 is part of the Microsoft Office 2004 suite. If you are willing to sacrifice whatever benefits the proprietary exchange settings provide, you can use any IMAP-compatible email client, including Mail and any version of Entourage. The only catch is that IMAP may not be enabled on your Exchange server. Another catch, Microsoft does not make a version of Outlook for the Mac more recent than the Exchange-only Outlook 2001 for MacOS 9. This means that you cannot change your Exchange password except via the Exchange web client.