new to mac os 10.5

Discussion in 'macOS' started by wasd, Feb 24, 2006.

1. wasd macrumors member

Feb 19, 2006
    I just got the macbook pro 2.0ghz today. Oh man this machine fast let me tell you. But there is one problem right now since i have been using windows ever since i was a kid, i am having problem installing the softwares i want to install. I dont think there is any problem with laptop, i think its a problem with me. I have no idea on how to install any softwares downloaded from the net. For example, when i tried installing msn messenger, i have no idea on how to install it. i find windows is much easier to use.

Any help
  2. nbs2 macrumors 68030

Mar 31, 2004
    A geographical oddity
    Two things - first, forget msn messenger. go to use adium - it's a better application and it serves as a nice multi-client IM app.

second - installs tend to be very easy on the mac. with adium, for example, when the disk image finishes downloading, open it. drag the duck icon right a couple inches to the right to the Applications folder. drop. done. now you can close the image and throw it away. adium is in the Applications folder.
  3. Duff-Man macrumors 68030

Dec 26, 2002
    Albuquerque, NM
    Duff-Man says...virtually everything that I have downloaded comes with some sort of 'read me' file that tells you how to install the program, even if it is a simple drag and drop install....oh yeah!
  4. wasd thread starter macrumors member

Feb 19, 2006
    thanks for the quick reply

now how about the files that ends with .sit. How do i install those?

5. CANEHDN macrumors 6502a

Dec 12, 2005
    Eagle Mountain, UT
    You can download Stuffit Expander for free. Here is the link for it.

You'll want to download the Free Expansion and Decoding. This will work fine.

And one more thing. It's OS 10.4 not 10.5. 10.5 hasn't been released yet.
  6. munkees macrumors 65816

Sep 3, 2005
    Pacific Northwest
    wasd, it not you are the mac it is microsoft they change the names you see displayed to a type not normally seen.
  7. ke2000 macrumors member

Jan 31, 2006
    big hell country
    see micrsoft has done to you.

besides, Stuffit has been droped in Tiger is stupid, as user point of view.
  8. Mord macrumors G4

Aug 24, 2003
  9. patrick0brien macrumors 68040

Oct 24, 2002
    The West Loop
    -wasd (Ken)

Well, that's just because you are used to it. Be ready for a little frustration. The transition from Mac to PC is easier than PC to Mac, because it is easier to learn new things that unlearn old things - which is something you will have to do when learning OS X - you have to remember that it is a lot more intuitive than Windows, you will want to overthink something, and that'll bug you.

On the flip side, one you do get used to it, you'll look back at Windows and ask yourself "What were they thinking?" It's ok, it's a very common reaction.

A good example of this is if you want to uninstall an application.

Windows: If you are lucky, go to Control Panel, Add or Remove Software, find your software, hit 'Remove' and hopefully it is gone and hasn't kicked your registry too much.

OS X: Go to Macintosh HD, Applications, find App, drag to trash, empty trash.
  10. plinden macrumors 68040

Apr 8, 2004
    Aren't most .sit files classic, ie. won't run in 10.4 and especially not on Intel Macs?

Anyway, we've had this argument before about installing. Most of us find it easier (but some just don't get it) to install apps on Mac OS X since 90% of the time you have a .dmg file, that you double click on, then just drag the app into Applications. The other 10% there's a .dmg file containing an installer. You find Windows easier only because that's what you're used to. I've had my Mac only 3 weeks now and was a MSDOS/Windows user since the IBM XT was top of the line, but I was shocked about how easy it was to install apps (but then I have also used various flavours of Unix and Linux and am used to switching my mode of use from OS to OS, so I'm not typical either.)

Basically, you have to remember to forget what you've learned in Windows.
  11. wasd thread starter macrumors member

Feb 19, 2006
    thanks again

alright thanks, i feel very welcome to all your very helpful responses. I just downloaded dockseparator15.sit,hehe but i just dont know how to install it.

12. Eidorian macrumors Penryn

Mar 23, 2005
    I've found some older applications released in the 10.2 era to still come in .sitx form. Most applications come compressed via .dmg or .zip now though.
  13. jamesW135 macrumors 6502a

Apr 30, 2005
    Once an app is downloaded it sometimes is installed for you. Check your Applications folder then double click if its not installed it will now.
  14. MacRumoron macrumors 6502

Sep 6, 2005
    i came to this thread thinking it was information about whats new in 10.5 :(
  15. Sogo macrumors 6502

Jan 4, 2004
    Wait, wait...wait...

If im correct, those arent files at all. After you "un-sit" it, you will have a bunch of invisible files. Look at the site that you got it from, it gives you instructions on how to use it.