New to Mac Os X, Couple Questions

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by iWinnipegger, Dec 25, 2006.

1. iWinnipegger macrumors regular

Just got my MacBook for xmas today, and i was wondering, i use LimeWire, & Mininova alot, will i get any viruses/spyware/adware on my mac like my PC, because i heard macs don't get all that crap, can someone tell me if this is true.

Also, i downloaded Microsoft Messenger for Mac, but i can't use my webcam, are there any other programs i can use with my mac so i can instant message to people using my msn adress but use the webcam,

thanks for the help,

2. fivetoadsloth macrumors 65816

fivetoadsloth

Part one. Nope no viruses spyware etc, Stay legal though. :)

Part Two, yeah mic. mess. Dosnt work. You can use iChats jabber service, at least i think you can i know you can with yahoo accounts, though it is a tiny tad difficult to set up, ill let someone more experianced answer that one.

3. jessep28 macrumors 6502

jessep28

Are you sure it's the program or a firewall issue? If there is a port blocked by either a router or OS X firewall, you will have trouble with webcam chats. This was an issue I had with another Mac user and the iChat program when we wanted to test our iSight cameras.

Mac OSX has an built in firewall. However, I believe it's defaulted to off, because I recall having to turn mine ON.

Here's how to check.

1) Click on System Preferences in the Dock (bar at bottom) > Sharing > Firewall Tab

[​IMG]

2) If yours indicates that its on, then some ports will have to be released. I would check with MS Messenger support pages/forums for reference.

3) If yours says it's OFF and your house has a router based network with a bult-in firewall, then it probably is the router itself. I would then consult the router support website for your particular model to open the ports.

If neither one of these, then since I don't deal with MSN at all, I unfortunately can't help you beyond that.

4. diametric macrumors regular

diametric

huh? All of that, unfortunately is irrelevant. MSN for Mac has no support for video or audio conferencing. However, aMSN (google it) allows for webcam chat as well as text based messaging. I, for one, don't like it though.

For webcam, you could always install windows via boot camp and use your iSight that way. Or wait a bit for the Parallels team to support the built-in iSight and just use Windows Live Messenger in Parallels.

5. clevin macrumors G3

clevin

video conferencing? get use to skype or sightspeed