new to MAC OS X

Discussion in 'macOS' started by 4thWall, Aug 10, 2005.

1. 4thWall macrumors newbie

I am new to apple and mac os x as of last week. I'm having trouble importing my pictures to iphoto. They are in .jpg format, does mac not recognize .jpg? Also there was an amazing guide on this website in the forums that is a sort of beginners guide to mac os x. It told you what files you needed to download and all the basic stuff. I can't find it, can you send me the link, thanks.

2. .Andy macrumors 68030

.Andy

Hey 4thWall. Your Mac should handle jpgs no problem. I take it you've tried using the import function in iPhoto (File -> import). If so have you tried just dragging the photo into iPhoto's window? Just grab the icon for your photo(s) in the finder and drop them in. They should copy straight across.

If not what error message are you getting? Or is you comp just ignoring your directives?

As for the link I can't help you sorry!

3. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

In some of the modes (like edit mode) you cannot drag and drop to the window. I'm not sure that's your issue, though. Try clicking on the recent imports folder in iPhoto, and then dragging the photos to the dock icon of iPhoto.

Regarding a guide, one that I like is http://www.xvsxp.com/ but I'm not sure it's the one you're talking about. It was sort of created as a OS shootout, but it makes a great switchers' guide. :D

Welcome to the family, though! :)

4. 20rogersc macrumors 65816

20rogersc

I have an idea of which thread you mean, but I've had a look for the one that I thought it was, and I can't find it either! Was it the one which listed internet browsers, video playes, IM apps, etc?? That's the one that I can't find, but I found it useful when I switcjd (a while ago), I wonder if anyone knows where it is?

But how about these two for apps?

The "Official" Must Have Free Apps/tools Thread
    What cool little OS X apps do you use?

::20ROGERSC::

5. Diatribe macrumors 601

Diatribe

You shall be helped. This is the thread you're looking for.

I'll try to update it over the weekend, so there'll be plenty new stuff in there, after that I'll ask for a sticky, so you shouldn't have any problems finding it anymore.

If you type in "mac starter guide" in Google, you should see it too. It is the first result. :)

6. GodBless macrumors 65816

GodBless

Good job Diatribe! Your thread will help a lot of people new to OS X. I will refer people who are new to OS X to your excellent thread if I get a chance to in the future.