New to Mac OsX and need help to reinstall OS X

Discussion in 'macOS' started by Trunks10k, Dec 24, 2006.

1. Trunks10k macrumors newbie

Ok, Im gonna be plain and simple.

I was given a G4 MAC fully intacted the previous owner was getting a new comp. I been using the the standard OSx that was on the system (OSX 10.3). Sadly to say i have been raised on PCs a window user as taught in all highschools. I been reading the forums and read much about the dual boot with OSX and Windows. anyone can offer help itd b much appreciated or if u can jus send me the link. I know that i need boocamp, OSX bootdisc, xpboot disc.

-------------------------------------
    specs so far that I know on this mac are;
    526 mb rams
    ati vid card not sure which one yet

2. dornoforpyros macrumors 68040

dornoforpyros

You also need an intel based mac, which a g4 is not I'm afraid.

Virtual PC can run windows "inside" OS X but it's painfully slow and not really worth the effort.

But hey OS X isn't that hard to learn, and once you do you'll probably love it.

3. Trunks10k thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks saved me tons of time. I was freaking out cuz i didnt understand mac lanuage...

by any do u know how to format OSX

4. Trunks10k thread starter macrumors newbie

thanx for all the help dorn...nice webpage pixelhomicide i read the zombie jesus....funny and so true.

5. jsw Moderator emeritus

jsw

I'm sorry, but I'm not sure what you mean. Do you mean "reinstall OS X"? Or do you mean "format a drive using OS X"? If that's the case, just use Applications->Utilities->Disk Utility, select the drive, go to the "Erase" tab, then click "Erase".

6. Trunks10k thread starter macrumors newbie

7. jsw Moderator emeritus

jsw

You'll need either the installation disks that originally came with the Mac, or a retail version of OS X. Insert the first disk, then hold down 'C' while booting to force it to boot from the optical. The rest should be self-explanatory.

Note that if you install from a retail version of OS X, as opposed to the installation disks that came with the Mac, you won't get the extra apps that came bundled with it (iLife, etc.).