new to mac? program download and finder

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by boness19, Mar 11, 2007.

1. boness19 macrumors member

Mar 11, 2007
    hi i am new to my iMac

i know how to use programs on computers

i use windows since i came to america

i finally download msn messenger for imac

do u know how windows have control panel where u find setting there

where can i find it

i download stuff u know when u find a program that u like
    for example limewire and demo or trail or itunes or something
    where does it all go

there is stuff i download i want to remove before my imac get full and slow down

i need help on these things

window media player
    record video from my icam
    how to my mac mail
    add/remove programs
    use my icam in msn messenger
    is .mac account free
    how much is imac account
    front row
    itunes music folders
    my computer
    my docoument
    my music
    my pictures
    my video
    my download
    my revised floder
    mac os x (what is that) should i download this program
    iweb is it free
    podcast ( free)

i need help to find them or how to make them work please :apple: :(

i have a camera and i have firewire

but my firewire work only on windows hp and compact
  2. psychofreak Retired

May 16, 2006
    When you download MSN, you should get something with .dmg on the end appear on your desktop.

Double click this.

Open the finder, and near the top left of it there should be a white drive icon. Drag 'MSN messenger' from this drive into 'Applications', also on the left hand side of the Finder.

All your applications are in this 'Applications' folder. To uninstall an application, drag something from this folder to the trash.

Download Flip4Mac to play .wmv files in quicktime.

Open iMovie to record yourself with your camera (called iSight, not iCam). To use your iSight with MSN, download Mercury Messenger or aMSN.

Mac OS X is on your computer, it is like windows, as in it is the thing you use, called an operating system.
  3. miniConvert macrumors 68040

Mar 4, 2006
    Kent, UK - the 'Garden of England'.
    WOooah! Ok. First step: OS X is not Windows. It works quite differently in some ways. Searching these forums will answer a lot of your questions.

To remove a program on a Mac you grab it from within Applications in Finder and drag it to the trash :)

General OS X settings are accessed via the Preferences pane, there's a link to it on your Dock. The Dock is where you keep all applications that you want to use regularly, and any open application will have its icon in the Dock. It's a bit like an advanced Windows Task Bar.

You organise your personal files in your Home folder, you have folders for Documents, Music etc.

You don't need Windows Media Player. Download Flip4Mac that gives QuickTime the ability to play WMA. Use iTunes for music.

Mac OS X is your operating system.

I'm going to go put some ice on my head for a minute ;)
  4. boness19 thread starter macrumors member

Mar 11, 2007

i got the media player flip4mac on my computer

i got the isight work on my imac thank for that to

so flip4mac is really good player to media player trailer
    or i need to download one more program

how come i get all my download programs on my desktop

amsn does open

is it to chat or just a file to make the isight work

how does ichat work

i got

but i want to use my hotmail email
    then using aol

or something

do i need one of one them or all of them or which one i should remove and which to stay

microsoft messenger

mercury messenger

amsn (what is this and how is does it work)

how to the isight on each of them so i can chat with my friends , family
  5. speakerwizard macrumors 68000

Aug 8, 2006
    i mean no offence but there are many getting started books for osx and they are really good, you seem to have a LOT of questions and one of these will walk you through everything, plus there is a great search facility on the forum.
  6. boness19 thread starter macrumors member

Mar 11, 2007
    i like to chat with mac fans it just fun

when someone help me they will learn something

does imac play avi videos video cd
  7. zephead macrumors 68000

Apr 27, 2006
    in your pants
    QuickTime's a bit picky with AVI files, so I suggest that you download VLC.

I assume you're using Safari, and if so, the desktop is the default location for downloaded files. To change it, open the Safari preferences (Safari menu > Preferences, or cmd+,) and under General, there's a "Save downloaded files to:" drop-down box.
  8. boness19 thread starter macrumors member

Mar 11, 2007
    no virus or problem with this

macintosh HD is my computer and in it has like doc and pic and music files

how to clean your computer how windows has disk clean up

i got a video camera yeah a camera but one thing is that it will not fit on this computer

is a firewire for windows and apple stor said yeah it works

I love imac is the best

so what is one thing u guys do on imac

do u guys

watch stream videos
    get free stuff
    or what

ichat Help Me Please

the Apple Store Told Me That The Hotmail Will Work In Ichat And Guess What It Does Not

So All My Friends Needs Imac To Work It Or Aol Or .mac

Please Please Please Please Please Help Me
  9. zephead macrumors 68000

Apr 27, 2006
    in your pants
    Just so you know, really big letters aren't really necessary.

Download Adium. You can sign in to your Hotmail IM account with that, as well as AIM and Yahoo. Heck, you can sign on to so many IM networks with Adium that there'll even be some you've never even heard of.
  10. boness19 thread starter macrumors member

Mar 11, 2007
    sorry about the big letters

does it work with the camera

because i want to chat with web cam then just writing
  11. spinne1 macrumors 6502a

Mar 12, 2005
    Hermitage, TN USA (near Nashville)
    To give QuickTime most of the functionality of VLC, download and install Perian:

Also, your downloads go to your desktop because that is the default location for them. If you want to change the default location, create a folder wherever you want (I suggest: User/Documents/Downloads), then go to preferences in your web browser(s) and point to the folder you made. Then add the folder Downloads to your sidebar in any finder window, and possibly to the right side of your dock (if you like to work that way).

To clean up your desktop, install each file into the Applications folder then delete each .dmg file as you go (as well as unmount the temporary hard drives that are created when you mount a .dmg file).

Lastly, your posts are difficult to read and understand because of a lack of proper sentence structure and punctuation.
  12. boness19 thread starter macrumors member

Mar 11, 2007
    i download it

nothing happens

it said choose applications

so what should i do
  13. MacAnkka macrumors regular

Jun 30, 2006
    Your posts are really, REALLY hard to understand, but I guess you are trying to install Perian.

I assume you downloaded and opened the Perian_0.5.dmg file.

You should be seeing a window something like this:

Now, notice how there is a text saying "Drag perian.component to the Quicktime Folder". Guess what you have to do. Just to make sure you undestand: You have to Drag the perian.component to the Quicktime Folder. You are not supposed to open the perian.component file. Just DRAG it in to the QuickTime folder.

I hope you undestand how to drag files to folders, but I'm going to show you how to do it, anyways. Just in case.

Move the cursor over the file called perian.component. Now click and HOLD the mouse button down. While still holding the mouse button down, move the mouse over the QuickTime-folder and. When the mouse is over it, RELEASE the mouse button. The file should now be in the QuickTime folder.

All you have to do now is quit QuickTime (if it is running). Now, open QuickTime and it should be capable of running the AVIs it couldn't before.
  14. boness19 thread starter macrumors member

Mar 11, 2007
    thank you so much and i understand how to do things and i am not that stupid and i been using computers since 1992 and i know how to do things on it and the only thing that i am on this site is because apple store told me about this and that everyone on this site will help you. first thing is not a english class and please stop saying it hard to read my english. have u ever pass english class i mean 100% and there was no mistakes on your homeowork and i am trying to be mean. the only i want to make my computer to work

i want to these things to work but they never work for me

i download msn
    i have msn messenger, emsn, mercury msn, adium and how i need all these to make my msn to work.

i know windows media player is only for windows but there are some movie trailer or free movies or free music video or play my old movies on media player and they need media player files and i download it and it will not do anything.

i got cd that i burn disney chicken little and i download real player and it will play on it. i think it need a avi media player

i try all the aiv files and none of them work

my music from garage band 3 are aif not mp3

if i throw a file i download on imac will it delete every file of limewire

or anything

i got .mac account and can i save my garage band files on there
  15. osirisX macrumors regular

Mar 1, 2007
    Sydney, Australia
    Ok, I'm going to try to help you the best I can. First of all your MSN problem. You want to use the iSight camera but most MSN clients on Mac do not support it. You should stick with aMSN and set that up properly. aMSN works with the iSight camera so this should solve your problem. If you need help setting up aMSN, let me know.

AIF files are just another type of music file. They will play in iTunes just fine. Garageband uses AIF files because they are better suited for the app.

I'm going to assume the .Mac account you got was a trial account. .Mac has a storage disk called iDisk where you can store stuff. So yes you can store those Garageband files there, but you probably shouldn't.

Downloaded files that you put on your Mac aren't going to delete Limewire.

I'm sure you will have more questions so I will check back later.
  16. boness19 thread starter macrumors member

Mar 11, 2007
    i need with the aif only

i made some garage band music on it so i want to put them on a cd but the cd said this files can not fit on this cd

aif to mp3 please

where do i go and do that please

so there is no other way to remove all the files for a program meaning i download limewire and when i delete will it remove every thing that goes with limewire
  17. Shotgun OS macrumors 6502a

Dec 18, 2006
    to convert the aif to mp3, the easiest way to do it without another program is to:

open iTunes
    go to preferences > advanced> importing > change 'import using...' to MP3.
    Now just drag the AIFF into there and it wil convert. If it doesnt convert automatically, hold 'control' and click the song in iTunes, then select 'convert to MP3'.

To delete something completely (what someone might call 'uninstall'), all you have to do is drag the folder of the application to the trash. This will generally kill it.
  18. obesecat55 macrumors newbie

Feb 12, 2007
    More Help on your Original Questions

Okay. I am confused when you talk about your webcam. You are talking about the built-in iSight in your iMac computer, not an external webcam, right?

Also, there is no such thing as an "iMac Account" unless you are talking about the AppleCare warrenty program. .Mac accounts are not free; they cost $99 per year. You are probably on a free trial.

Front Row is like Windows Media Center. To make it work, you use the remote that came with your computer. press the MENU button on it to activate Front Row. use the circle of buttons above the MENU button to navigate and select things. Everything in Front Row is from your iTunes, except for the DVD.

iTunes will automatically manage all your music folders for you- all you have to do is drag things into the iTunes window or download them from the iTunes Store. If you want access to your song folders, you can right click on a song and select 'Show in Finder'. iTunes will organize the (usually unseen) folders with the files in them by Artist and Album.

You can use iPhoto to manage your pictures. It is the icon with the camera and the orange beach on it. Import your pictures directly from your digital camera with it.

iWeb is an application in the iLife suite. This came free with your Mac, along with iTunes, iMovie, iPhoto and GarageBand.

Podcasts are free to download from the iTunes Store. You can make your own podcasts in GarageBand.

If you have any questions about all that I have just told you, feel free to reply back. :)
  19. boness19 thread starter macrumors member

Mar 11, 2007
    for example i download msn messager and when download it will give like files u know files and that comes with it so it will work. like how windows when u download a program and then if u dont like and then u go and remove it and then it shows files deleteing going threw to alot of files

i got limewire to work but when i want to delete will it everything that came with limewire

limewire program
    limwire files

i try both of them

do i have to remove all my songs like 1000 music

i did the control thing there was no convert to mp3

there is no aif to mp3

yeah i made about 13 music on garage band and there all dam aif not mp3 not other files just AIF i did everything and nothing

20. zephead macrumors 68000

Apr 27, 2006
    in your pants
    I think you're not understanding us here. On Windows, yes, that would be the process of uninstalling files: Opening the uninstaller, "Welcome to the [insert program here] uninstaller! Click next to continue. Are you sure you want to remove the selected program and all of its files? Doing so will remove functionality from the program." So you click next, and the bar goes through all the files and deletes them. "[insert program here] has been successfully uninstalled. You may need to restart your computer in order to complete uninstallation. Click 'finish' to exit." Keep in mind that when you use Windows, programs are uninstalled like that. But wait, we're not using Windows, are we?

No, we're using Mac OS X, which is not Windows. The uninstallation process of Mac OS X is as follows:

1. Click and hold on the undesired program.
    2. While still holding down the mouse button, move the cursor over the Trash (the trash icon will darken), and then release the mouse button. The program is now uninstalled.

There's also an alternate method:

1. Click once on the undesired program.
    2. Hold down the :apple: key (on either side of the spacebar), push delete (above the vertical line (|)/backslash (\) key), and release both. The program is now uninstalled.

And yes, this also applies to LimeWire.
  21. gothiquegirrl macrumors regular

Dec 6, 2006
    Planet Earth
    $99 a month? I thought it was $ 99 a Year?
  22. obesecat55 macrumors newbie

Feb 12, 2007
    Converting music from AIF to MP3

I will explain to you in more detail how to make your music AIF files into MP3 files:

1. Open iTunes
    2. Click in the top menu bar on the bold iTunes.
    3. Select 'Preferences...' from the menu.
    4. At the top, click on the 'Advanced' button, which is the gear.
    5. Click on the 'Importing' tab.
    6. Look for the words "Import Using:" and change the pull-down box to 'MP3 Encoder'.
    7. Click 'OK' in the lower right corner of the box.
    8. Find the songs you want to convert from AIF to MP3 in your music library.
    9. Right click on the songs you want to convert, and select the 6th option: 'Convert Selection to MP3'.

You will now have 2 files in your library: the original AIF and the new MP3. If you want to, you can delete the old AIF file but clicking on it to highlight it, and pressing the delete key on your keyboard. Then select Move to Trash to delete them.
  23. obesecat55 macrumors newbie

Feb 12, 2007
    Oops! :eek: It's fixed now. ;)

:apple: :apple: Yay:apple: :apple:
  24. boness19 thread starter macrumors member

Mar 11, 2007
    yeah like how windows do that and i know we are using windows but when i throw the program in trash and delete i did a spotlight and there was still files left behind

25. boness19 thread starter macrumors member

Mar 11, 2007
    thank you so much
    what is your name because u really save my life from aif thing if the aif is not mp3 then that mean that i can listen to it in my car or any where in the world

80 GB to 7.5 GB

there is
    apple lossless

does all these work in car

which is the biggest one to the smallest

thank u friend

if i need help where can email u at