New to Mac... Question

Discussion in 'General Mac Discussion' started by alexshim, Oct 22, 2004.

1. alexshim macrumors newbie

Hi I just got a G3 Ibook, and my problem is that I cannont find an Airpot Card anywhere. SO I was wondering if there is any other wirless option? Maybe a USB card with good drivers?

Additionaly, its a 500 MHz computer with 384 RAm, its running 10.3 right now, but its a bit slow sometimes, would downgrading to 10.1 help at all? or getting more ram?

Oh yeh, how do I uninstall programs? (I used windows before and I cant find any way to remove software that I installed, like there is no Add/Remove in the System Config)

Thanks..

2. Blue Velvet Moderator emeritus

Can't help you with the wireless, I'm afraid.
    Although a lot of people here will spit on USB cards/devices...

10.3.4 is far snappier than 10.1, get more RAM (min. 768 -- that'll help a lot).

You can download the combo updater 10.3.4 from Apple.com

To remove an app, simply trash the app folder. Simple as!
    It's all in one package...

3. alexshim thread starter macrumors newbie

So processor is not a huge deal?

One more Q, how many ram slots does an iBook have?

4. Mudbug Administrator emeritus

Mudbug

uh, what he means to say is to trash THAT SPECIFIC application's folder, not the APPLICATIONS folder on your hard drive. that could get a tad sticky...
    And I'll agree that the higher the version number of the OS you can run, the faster (generally) you'll find things. However depending on the age and version of your G3 iBook, you may not be able to run anything higher than 10.2.8 - Software Update should point you in the direction of the highest capable OS for your needs. Remember - RAM is your friend, and you should have as much as that little G3 notebook can hold. You'll thank us for that advice later

As for the airport card, try checking ebay (I know, I know) or put a post in the Marketplace forum - you might find someone who has an extra AP card, or isn't using theirs since moving to APX. If those don't pan out, the underlying structure of the original airport cards was made by Lucent Technologies (IIRC) and you may be able to find a compatable card that could work. You'd be better off finding an OEM part, however. Less issues - especially if you're REALLY new to what's going on.

either way - good luck with it, and enjoy the freedom of no longer being on the dark side ;)

5. Mudbug Administrator emeritus

Mudbug

well, that's gonna depend on the model - but this page should help (if it works when you click it - Apple servers were having problems when I found it - http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=95147)

6. alexshim thread starter macrumors newbie

Oh yeh one more thing, is there file sharing softeware fore mac? I used limeware for PCs?

Btw I love the mac thus far, the only thing that bothers me is that for PCS its a lot easier to find software :) and everything for mac is expencive .

7. Mudbug Administrator emeritus

Mudbug

www.mac-p2p.com
    and uh - we keep our boards clean of warez talk, if that's what you're shooting for.

8. MXDT macrumors member

The iBooks have one ram slot, i think your iBook may have 128 built in and with one slot available plus a 512mb module it can max our at 640 mb

more ram is the best thing you can do to help speed your computer up. especially if you are under the 512 mark.

9. Blue Velvet Moderator emeritus

Ooops. Sometimes language needs to be a bit more precise.

Thanks for highlighting that.