New to Mac World Need a little help with Mac Server

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by viper75, Oct 31, 2005.

1. viper75 macrumors newbie

Oct 31, 2005
    Hello all,

I'm a network Engineer and I need some help with Mac Server. My backround is in a Windows environment and now I have to do cross platform support and administration, Mac/Windows.

I have Mac OS X Server 10.4.2 running on a iBook G4 and I would like to know how to enable and configure remote desktop on the Server so I can remote desktop into some iMacs in the network. :cool:

I will also probably be asking more questions as time goes on. The next thread will be on how do I send an image to client mac pc's over the network from this G4 notebook, but for now I need help on how I can configure my notebook to use remote desktop on to other client eMacs.

Can anyone help me???
  2. iEdd macrumors 68000

Aug 8, 2005
    Sorry, I don't know much about this sort of thing.
    Does This Guide have any relevance or offer any help?
  3. viper75 thread starter macrumors newbie

Oct 31, 2005
    Thanks for the reply. I did some further research and discovered that if I want to administer other Macs through remote desktop my company has to purchase the remote desktop admin from Apple.

Anyone out there know how to image Macs over the network?
  4. ElectricSheep macrumors 6502

Feb 18, 2004
    Wilmington, DE
    You may find this link useful. The developer of CarbonCopyCloner discusses the deployment of MacOS X in a lab environment.
  5. Thom_Edwards macrumors regular

Apr 11, 2003
    try this:

they've got all kinds of stuff there for mac in the enterprise, especially in mixed environments.
  6. gekko513 macrumors 603

Oct 16, 2003
    OSXvnc and Chicken of the VNC are free and will allow you to set up a solution for remote login. Depending on your needs you might be able to do much with a text login shell using ssh.