New to Mac

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by cgratti, Dec 28, 2004.

1. cgratti macrumors 6502a

cgratti

About to buy a MAC, want some input on what to buy.
    To be mainly used for Graphic Design work: Photoshop, Illustrator, Quark, and InDesign. And some DVD ripping and the normal email, web surfing.

I have it narrowed down to 2 systems.

The 20" iMac G5 or the Dual 1.8 Powermac G5. Both will have at least 1 GB RAM when ordered. The problem I have is that I heard that the Imac's Superdrives go to the crapper after about 3-4 months. (Anyone else hear this?)

Anyone with an Imac give me some input on how they run? I would love to save the extra money an go Imac if they will run all the apps smoothly, but will spend more to get a Powermac. Any advice will be greatly appreciated.

2. jackieonasses macrumors 6502a

jackieonasses

My friend has an iMac (with good feedback) And has had his with no superdrive problems. Depending on how long you keep it (or if you have a display or not) you should get the Powermac. It has expansion capabilities and is much faster (being dual and all)

kyle

3. Patmian212 macrumors 68020

Patmian212

If you have the extra casj i would definitley go powermac.... Powermacs are faster, they have alot of expansion possibilities and it will last you longer then the imac... Oh and remember if you don't have a display you dont need to buy apple there are alot of displays which are cheaper and will do just fine.

Go Powermac!

4. iGary Guest

iGary

I'd buy the PowerMac for the expansion possibilities, especially if you already have a monitor. If not, there are (as stated above) many monitor options.

I had considered buying an iMac to replace my PowerMac G4, but I'll wait till I can afford the PowerMac - I already have a 20"ACD and like the ability to expand.

My .02 :D

5. StylePower macrumors newbie

Yes, PowerMacs are really fast, but for his use, that would be waste of money. You don't need that extreme power for graphic- and webdesign.

6. Blue Velvet Moderator emeritus

Are you kidding?

When distilling a 400+ pg CMYK catalogue for repro, I need everything my work 2.5 dual can throw at it... or any extensive billion-layered press-quality Pshop work.

Damn the torpedoes... give me more speeeeed.

7. thekaiser macrumors member

It just comes down to money in my mind. If money is no problem go for the best you can swing comfortably. Otherwise, look at what money you have and just do the best you can with that. Either option will be awesome and I guarantee will put a big smile on your face.

8. Converted2Truth macrumors 6502a

Converted2Truth

I agree, buy the best you can afford. The only way i sacrifice upgradablity is for mobility. The iMac is something i'll never buy (for myself).

9. sjpetry macrumors 65816

sjpetry

Get the iMac with 1GB of aftermerket Ram.

10. mullet macrumors member

I'd say PowerMac... When you're a pro, use what the pros use ;)

Power, RAM, and extra expandability is key in a professional environment.

11. aricher macrumors 68020

aricher

Silly statement - I guess it all depends on the level of work you're doing. I work every day with Photoshop files that are at least 1 GB in size - huge Point-of-Purchase displays. I've had layered Photoshop files as large as 5 GB. Let me tell you - you wouldn't want to be pushing that kind of file around on an iMac with 1 GB of RAM.

I would highly suggest getting a PM over a iMac any day if you have the extra $$. I would also suggest getting at least 2 GB of RAM in any machine if you are doing heavy Photoshop work. Just my 2¢.