New to Mac

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by deldakota, Feb 27, 2007.

1. deldakota macrumors newbie

my gateway is getting old and tired, so im buying a new computer, and i think im going with the i-mac 20. i have a few questions about it though. i was told that i dont need to upgrade the memory from a 1gb to a 2gb because it doesnt require it as much as windows xp does..is this true?? and should upgrade the graphics card from a 128 to a 256?? will be playing alot of games on it..any other feedback would be great!! thanks in advance..

2. flopticalcube macrumors G4

flopticalcube

Depends what you do with it. I would go with 2 gig (you could always do this aftermarket). It will make many higher end games and video run smoother. If you are playing games, you probaby will install XP anyways. Go for the bigger graphics mem as you play a lot.

3. psycoswimmer macrumors 65816

psycoswimmer

If your into gaming, you should definitely upgrade the graphics card to 256 MB VRAM. It will help a lot. Also, the 2GB of RAM will help out a lot. I have 1 GB and it's fine for me doing common tasks like Safari, iChat, Mail, iTunes, & iLife, but for gaming you'll see a performance increase.

Also, if you plan on using apps like Microsoft Office for Mac 2004, which is not yet a universal binary (not made for Intel, and hasn't been changed since the switch), you'll benefit from 2 GB of RAM. Non-universal applications like Microsoft Office run under Rosetta emulation, and Rosetta uses a lot of RAM. You could run Microsoft Office fine with 1 GB of RAM, but you'll see a performance increase with the 2 GB.

4. GimmeSlack12 macrumors 603

GimmeSlack12

For Gaming (on the PC side I hope) get the 256mb for Graphics.

As for the RAM I would say yes, upgrade to 2gb. But do not buy it from Apple, as you will get a terrible price. Buy the Mac with 1gb of RAM and research and buy an extra 1gb stick of memory to install. Installing the memory is very easy on the iMac, just remove one screw and pop it in (it'll save you $100).

5. SmurfBoxMasta macrumors 65816

SmurfBoxMasta

6. psycoswimmer macrumors 65816

psycoswimmer

Well the iMac ships standard with 2x512 MB sticks of RAM, so to have 2 GB you'd have to completely replace both sticks with 1 GB sticks.

7. clevin macrumors G3

clevin

I wonder what app you were running under windows that need 2G RAM?