New to Mac.

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by agallant, Jan 23, 2004.

1. agallant macrumors newbie

I have a few questions. I am new to the mack thing so any advice would help.

1. G3 or G4 powerbook
    2. What is the diffrence in a G3 G4
    3. Can some one compair a G3 or G4 to an intell chip. IE G4=2.8GHZ P4
    4. Any one run Linux on a Mac. Please tell me about it.

Thanks,
    -AG

2. idkew macrumors 68020

idkew

where the concrete to dirt ratio is better
    Re: New to Mac.

it is a Mac, not a mack.

But, go with a G4. G5 if you can afford it.

3. me_94501 macrumors 65816

me_94501

Re: New to Mac.

Welcome aboard!

1. The G3s aren't used in new Macs at all anymore since the iBook G4s came out. If you don't need DVD burning capabilities and are fine with 1024x768 pixel resolution, the iBook G4 will probably serve you best.
    2. The G4 usually runs faster than a G3 at the same MHz (i.e. a 500 MHz G4 will generaly run faster than a 500 MHz G3). The G4 also has Velocity Engine (which helps out in graphics applications), while the G3 does not.
    3. It's actually kind of hard to compare an Intel chip to a PowerPC chip, since their architectures are different. However, a G4 or G5 is typically faster than a Pentium chip at the same clock speed (that is, a 1GHz G4 is faster than a 1 GHz Pentium 4)You can run Linux on your Mac. There are PowerPC distros available like Yellow Dog Linux, among others.

I hope this helps.

4. James Craner macrumors 68000

James Craner

It is difficult to compare G4 /G5 speeds to Intel chips as it depends on what you are doing. However a 1.25 GHz G4 is comparable to 1.8 / 2 GHz Pentium. A Dual 2 GHz G5 is about equivalent to a Dual 3Ghz Intel.

I would not bother with the G3, Apple no longer sell any products with this chip in. It is sometimes too slow for today’s processor hungry media creation Apps.

One of the attractions of Mac's is the OS X interface, which runs on a UNIX subsystem, so while I know you can run Linux on a Mac, you already have a super stable UNIX based system in OS X.

5. Pseudonym macrumors regular

You can also use UNIX commands from a terminal window if you are used to that kind of interface.

edit: did the quote thing but forgot to type in my response!