New to Macs, help needed!

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by theimp, Nov 13, 2006.

1. theimp macrumors member

Oct 12, 2006
    Ithaca, NY
    I have a few rather small questions.

1) I've had my Mac for about 3 weeks, and haven't restarted it for a while. I just did and got a message saying "An item in the Startup Items folder does not have the proper security settings" it says the item is called, StartupItems/CAS

I don't know what to press, so I am waiting for someone to help me out! I am also not sure if this is a coincidence, but my name begins with Cas.

2) What does the home key do or how do I make it work. On windows I used to press it all the time, especially in documents and web address bars. Now when I press it, nothing happens.

3) I have had my iMac for over 14 days, and am wondering if they will still exchange it for a cosmetic reason. I noticed it out of the box, there is a smallish black fleck or something on the upper left hand corner, but under the layer of clear plastic. At first I was just so excited to have the new computer, but now I am wondering if I should contact apple. I wish I could just remove it, I am tempted to just keep it because other than that, the computer is perfect.

2. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

Apr 3, 2004
    Adelaide, Australia
    Welcome to Macs. :)

Stand back, she's about to explode! Nah, kidding, sorry that was lame. So, there's a folder on your Mac called Startup Items. If you open a new window and head to the hard disk icon on the left, it'll be inside a folder named Library. What is listed in here? :)

Well, in Safari it take me to the top of the page. What apps are you trying to get it to work in? Do you have a laptop? If so, you may need to hold FN at the same time. This button should be down the bottom somewhere. :cool:

Sorry, I don't think they'll do anything for you, but you can always contact them and try your luck. :)