Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

bill4588

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Feb 2, 2006
Kennesaw, GA
I want a laptop for college in the fall and I really want it to be a mac laptop because I'm sick of all the PC BS. I just want to have an excellent computer that wont give me a lot of hassle. My parents want to stay under $2000 (preferably under $1800), so I was thinking about getting and iBook. I want to use it for class, and also for watching movies, downloading music, and surfing the web. I was thinking about getting 1GB ram and an 80 or 100GB HD, but I'm not sure how much different they are from PC's because I've never had one before. What's the best I can get for what I'm wanting to do?

wordmunger

macrumors 603
Sep 3, 2003
North Carolina
Yes, a lot of memory and most definitely the biggest hard drive you can afford. Though with 768 MB I can do everything you say you want to do, just fine.

One thing to consider, if you're not going to school until the fall, is waiting a few months to see if the rumored MacBook (to replace the iBook) comes out. You'll get a lot more speed, an iSight camera, and you'll be on the cutting edge, instead of buying a product that is on its way out. But today's iBooks are great, too, and will last you many years of great computing.

Eidorian

macrumors Penryn
Mar 23, 2005
Indianapolis
Wait a few months until an Intel version is out.

Still, the 12" iBookt G4 with 1 GB of RAM and the 100 GB is only $1,219.00 on the education store. If you need a DVD burner go with the 14" model.

bill4588

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Feb 2, 2006
Kennesaw, GA
i dont plan on getting one until summer because i heard there are great deals. Is there an expected price for the MacBook?

Timepass

macrumors 65816
Jan 4, 2005
another valid question is what is your major going to be. I hate to say it but there is some majors out that that using a mac will cause you a lot of pain just because you need software that you can not get for a mac. Not barring that you major is also imporanted in determing what your computers needs are.

An example of where macs will not work is here at my collage. The collage of Architechure will not let you use a mac. They require a pretty high in PC lab top and this requirement is not out of ingornaces or they think PC are better. It due the the fact the software that the students are required to use is not advaible on macs (autocad and a few other high in drafting programs and drafting side Macs just lag behind in). But that is just one example.

powerbook911

macrumors 68040
Mar 15, 2005
bill,

Good idea about waiting until the summer.

I won't make a current recommendation, since you're waiting.

However, I will speculate. Most likely, there will be a 13-inch widescreen Mac Book by the summer that will replace the iBook line, but it will look similar. My opinion is they'll have a couple models, a $1000 model and a $1200-$1300 model. Keep in mind you can get another $50-$100 off these prices, with your student status at that time. The higher-end model will probably give you slightly faster machine and bigger hard drive. This should be a very popular and very capable machine. I think we're all going to want one.

Once in the summer, I'd suggest you wait until Apple starts up the Student Union promotion again. With that promotion, you get the normal discount on the computer *plus* they'll give you $150-$200 towards an iPod. They've done it for the past three years or so, they say its successful, so hopefully they'll do it again. If you already have an iPod, you could always sell the one you get from the promotion to go towards the computer. Otherwise, you get a new computer, and an iPod thrown in for not much more, with the promotion. Hope this helped a little. You're going to enjoy your Mac.

Many think they'll discontinue the professional smaller than 15-inch portables (i.e. there won't be a Mac Book Pro smaller than the current 15). However, if they did surprise us with a Pro 12 or 13-inch machine sometime this Spring, you might consider it too. It would still come in under $1800, but again be another step or two above the Mac Book.

T-Stex

macrumors 6502
Jan 15, 2006
Pennsylvania
Powerbook911's right. Just do what he said, unless you specifically can't get a Mac because of your major. However, I don't think there's that many colleges that specifically tell you that you absolutely need a specific laptop.

bill4588

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Feb 2, 2006
Kennesaw, GA
thanks for the help everyone!! I will wait until summer although i REALLY want one now lol. And I have an ipod nano already, but i really want the video so I will probably get that with the deal during the summer.

Timepass

macrumors 65816
Jan 4, 2005
T-Stex said:
Powerbook911's right. Just do what he said, unless you specifically can't get a Mac because of your major. However, I don't think there's that many colleges that specifically tell you that you absolutely need a specific laptop.

Other times is just easiest to go PC that mac because of the software you are required to do assiments on. It just makes life a lot simpler not to have to jump though a lot of hoops because of the lack of a PC. But as said above there not a lot of majors out that that make one over the other better.

bill4588

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Feb 2, 2006
Kennesaw, GA
well i plan to bring my crappy PC with me to college as well just to have something different every now and then.

Timepass

macrumors 65816
Jan 4, 2005
bill4588 said:
well i plan to bring my crappy PC with me to college as well just to have something different every now and then.

Again the question is going to be ask on what are you planning for you major and you should check with you school on your major. But I am going to guess you PC is few years old so for what we are asking you it will not cover your needs.

Also if you dont need you PC why take it with you. It less stuff to take up you very limited dorm room space. (you will be surpised at how little extra room you will have. On top of having a room mate. so think about what you are bring and double it. Poor freshmen always bring so much extra stuff up with them to school. A bunch of stuff they dont need and it just eats up space.

psingh01

macrumors 68000
Apr 19, 2004
you can get education discounts on apple hardware as long as you provide proof of your student status. like a school id card and a current semester schedule.

you can also significant discounts on the high end hardware (powerbooks/mac book pro/powermac) by using the student developer discount. you must first purchase a $99 student developer membership which entitles you to a one time discount on apple hardware. it is worth it if you go for the high end machines, but for the imac and ibook a regular student education discount will do.

personally i have a powerbook 1.5ghz and i couldn't be happier. but aside from some extra luxuries the ibook isn't far off in specs from the (old) powerbook if that is what you want.

i think the $2499 macbook pro with the developer discount is $1999 + $99 (membership)

dswoodley

macrumors 6502a
Jul 18, 2002
Waiting until the intel ibooks come out might be a problem for you if the demand for them is as high as the mac book pro is. Also, the first production models often have bugs and other defects.

By the time you are ready to order your laptop, you should already be in your college's database as a recent admission. order from the Apple store online (they don't ask for ID, but just in case they do check with your education institution, you'll be in their records). Get the new mac book pro (ed price is about $1800). all the bugs of those models will be worked out by then

Good luck in school.

berkleeboy210

macrumors 68000
Sep 2, 2004
Boston, Massachusetts
T-Stex said:

Berklee won't let you in with anything but Macs :) and if you don't already have one that meets the standards, then you are Required to Buy the BLPP (Berklee Laptop Purchase Program) Which includes usually the latest model 15" PB, Lots of Music Production/Editing Software, 4 year AppleCare and Accidental Damage/Theft for around 2500-2700.

psingh01

macrumors 68000
Apr 19, 2004
Eidorian said:
ID cards or for in store. I haven't been asked for proof yet online. Still, I can prove it.

I've subscribed for the developer discount twice. The first time when I bought the 400mhz Ti powerbook and I wasn't asked for any proof. The second time when I bought an 1.5ghz Alu powerbook and I was asked to fax a copy of my id card plus current semester schedule.

Both were online purchases.

TheMasin9

macrumors 6502a
Dec 22, 2004
Huber Heights, OH
discount

bill4588 said:
thanks for the help everyone!! I will wait until summer although i REALLY want one now lol. And I have an ipod nano already, but i really want the video so I will probably get that with the deal during the summer.
nice thing about that is usually apple does a portable/ipod combo during the summer for all you back to shcool folks, hope you can partake!!

Eidorian

macrumors Penryn
Mar 23, 2005
Indianapolis
psingh01 said:
I've subscribed for the developer discount twice. The first time when I bought the 400mhz Ti powerbook and I wasn't asked for any proof. The second time when I bought an 1.5ghz Alu powerbook and I was asked to fax a copy of my id card plus current semester schedule.

Both were online purchases.
So..can I get Student Developer in store? It's a pain to get it online now.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.