New to Macs

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by hummingbird92, May 24, 2004.

1. hummingbird92 macrumors newbie

:) Hi there. This is my first time on here. I just bought an old Macintosh Performa 6200CD. It has a hypercard prgram in it for kids. Other than that I know nothing about it. It runs good and the monitor puts out a good picture. I would like to know how to use it. Is there a way to like write in it or play other games other than the early gradeschool educational things that are on it? :confused: I have tried to find free programs for it on the web but I would have to copy them onto a 1.44 floppy on my big computer and then transfer them over. All I have at this point on the Mac is the 3 1/2" drive. I can't even find any manuals/books for this puter. I have an e-machine 500i with Windows 98. I am really lost on this ole Mac. Could someone please help me? I've looked on eBay for some hypercards(programs I guess??) I havent much money to spend as I am not working and take care of my disabled husband and I am on a fixed income. Soooooooooo, anyhelp would def. be appreciated. The hyper card program that is on it is Kid Desk. Does all programs or stacks play in this kids desk thing? I'm lost. HELP :confused but not giving up.

2. FattyMembrane macrumors 6502a

FattyMembrane

the 6200 is an old computer. i'd first recommend checking to see which version of the system software you have (going to "about this mac" in the apple menu). it's probably 7 or 7.5 (about 9 years old). 7.5.5 is available as a free download from apple, but you'll have to pay for other upgrades (the highest you can run on the 6200 is OS 9). Hypercard was a program that allowed people to create simple games or applications (called stacks) that you could run through the hypercard player. i'd suggest not wasting your time with it, as it's not very advanced. if you want some games, most of the abandonware at the underdogs should run on it (the site seems to be down at the moment). there should be an application called "Simpletext" in the applications folder that will do simple text writing, and it may even have ClarisWorks, which is a full office suite. you can download iCab if you need to browse the web. it should be a fun machine to play around with but keep in mind that it's ancient and you won't be doing any fancy video editing or playing unreal on it.