new to networking

Discussion in 'Macintosh Computers' started by rickvanr, Aug 28, 2003.

1. rickvanr macrumors 68040

rickvanr

hello

i recently networked my house... before i networked the house, i had a airport v.2 for my powerbook. My other computer, is a B&W G3 and does not have airport. How do I connect my airport to my linksys router, so that the airport will communicate with my powerbook?

step by step would be greatly appreciated.

thank you in advance

2. mactastic macrumors 68040

mactastic

Do you mean you have a Snow Base Station? Those had two LAN ports on them IIRC. The other question I have is whether you have a Lynksis router, or a hub. The Airport acts as a router already, so a second one might cause trouble. You should just be able to run an ethernet cable from one of the LAN ports on your Airport either directly to your G3, or to the hub, and then to the G3.

3. rickvanr thread starter macrumors 68040

rickvanr

hey its the snow base station yes... and yes its a linksys router, not a hub

are u saying that i can plug the ethernet cable from my G3 into my airport's etherner plug instead of the router and then my modem into the wan port, and both my computers can connect via that... and then there is absolutely no need for the linksys router?

if so, that would be awesome.. and im an idiot... :D

4. AngryAngel macrumors regular

Yes, it does seem as though the router is not needed.

The Airports with in-built modems are pretty clever things.

5. rickvanr thread starter macrumors 68040

rickvanr

clever indeed... maybe ill try and take this router back and use the refund money to get sim city 4k

6. rickvanr thread starter macrumors 68040

rickvanr

ok, i know what u guys want me to do, but can u please tell me why there has to be a blue moon for the airport admin utility to recognize my base station...

its turned on, the computer has airport on, yet, it doesnt show up... sometimes after restarting the basestation and click create network, and then going back to rick's airport a few times it shows up... but not always