New to online gaming (yea, get your jabs in)

Discussion in 'Games' started by mojohanna, Aug 3, 2004.

1. mojohanna macrumors 6502a

mojohanna

My question is regarding Ping. Is it a measure of how long it takes a signal to go from my machine, to the server, and back?
    Am I correct to assume that the lower the ping rate the better?

One last question, other than getting a faster connection speed, is there any way to speed up/lower your ping?

Thanks!!!!

edit: I usually see 140-150 on my ping. Is that rotten?

2. pgc6000 macrumors 6502a

Ping is your connection. The higher ping the faster, the lower the slower (that ryhmed!)

3. knicksfan58 macrumors member

as far as i know, the lower the ping the faster

4. jsw Moderator emeritus

jsw

Well, no, ping doesn't measure your connection speed. It measures your latency - how long it takes to send a signal to another computer and get a reply back (hence 'ping' as in sonar, which, technically, is an acronym, so 'SONAR').

For example, satellite-based broadband can be quite fast, but the latency is God-awful. For gaming, low latency (i.e., lower ping times) is better than bandwidth ("speed") because typically it's not necessary to send a lot of info - but it's important that what is sent is received in a timely manner.

The best way to reduce ping times is to pick a "closer" server. Getting a faster connection might help - but not necessarily by itself.

5. mojohanna thread starter macrumors 6502a

mojohanna

Thanks for the info. I guess playing on a server in the UK is not such a good idea. Probably explains why I get dumps all the time when listening to Virgin radio.

6. Golem macrumors 6502

140-150 sounds fine if your playing from Cleveland to English server. In comparison from Australia to US if the wind is blowing right and the other guy has a very fast connection and the gods are smiling a ping of 250 might be achievable but in real life 350-500 is more likely.

But the importance of ping depends on the game. For a twitch game like a fps <50 or at least <100 helps a lot. But if you playing a mmorg 300 is fine.

7. Sun Baked macrumors G5

Sun Baked

Re: New to online gaming (yea, get your jabs in)

Gambling is bad for you...

You can lose everything.

[​IMG]

8. jsw Moderator emeritus

jsw

Er... did you misread "online gaming" in the thread topic, or am I just too tired to note sarcasm or humor?

9. pgc6000 macrumors 6502a

10. Sun Baked macrumors G5

Sun Baked

Yes you are, even if it hit you on the head. ;)

But he did say "online gaming & get your jabs in" -- and I did.

Just happens the most used definition of "online gaming" on television is in regard to the gambling -- unless you have the XBox channel or techTV.

11. Converted2Truth macrumors 6502a

Converted2Truth

Maybe it is just coincidence, but when i had 256kbps/256kbps DSL, my ping sucked. XBOX live was a joke. I'd shoot some guy in the back of the head, and then i'd fall to the ground with a bullet in the back of my own.... from the same guy i shot! He obviously had the time to run back around and shoot me! I eventually got so pissed off, that i cancelled my xbox live subsription. Well, when i increased my DLS to 1.5mbps/867kbps, i noticed that my ping times were exponentially better(amoung other things). I've not had lag or heavy latency since. Some people have told me that xbox live is a bandwidth hog though.. so maybe that chocked my old connection so bad that it caused delayed response... but that just seems far fetched.

12. jsw Moderator emeritus

jsw

Well, that explains it. The only channel that comes in on my TV is G4TechTV... which is now even more gaming-centric than the TechTV it replaced. ;)

Edit: to get back on topic: faster speeds will reduce ping times simply because it takes less time on your leg of the ping (getting there and getting back). However, it's your service provider and the server you're pinging that are primarily important. It is theoretically possible to get better ping times with dialup than with braodband. Usually, though, the broadband providers have fewer hops between you and the server, and so usually ping times are better.

For those who don't know what "hops" are: when you connect to another computer via the internet, you actually go through a number of intermediary servers/computers. Each time you go through one, it's a "hop". One hop means a direct connection. Each hop adds time, and, depending on what the system is that you're hopping through and how slow/loaded it is, that hop might take an appreciable number of milliseconds.