New To Photography

Discussion in 'Picture Gallery' started by mjstew33, Aug 19, 2005.

1. mjstew33 macrumors 601

mjstew33

Well, I've just adventured out into the photo world, and this is what I've taken. I took these in ~Hawaii~.
    My question is... What do I need to improve in? Am I any good?
    I'll post some more, if you want me too.

Attached Files:

2. DeSnousa macrumors 68000

DeSnousa

I not a photographer, but i know what i like and those images are included great job and use of light.

3. mjstew33 thread starter macrumors 601

mjstew33

Thanks! :)

4. mbl42 macrumors 6502a

Not bad. Flower one doesn't have enough light.

5. obeygiant macrumors 68040

obeygiant

all very pretty.

your skills are complete, indeed you are powerful.

now take it to the next step, tell a story.

6. bousozoku Moderator emeritus

7. w_parietti22 macrumors 68020

awesome job!

8. Heb1228 macrumors 68020

Heb1228

I think you've got a good start. One thing you may want to try is moving your subject out of the center of the picture. Imagine a tic-tac-toe board across your viewfinder and try and put the subject on one of the four places where the lines cross instead of the center. It makes the photo a little more interesting to look at.

9. quackattack macrumors 6502a

quackattack

Pretty good. I would just experiment with different apeture/shutter speed combos to create different effects and see what you like.

For example, on the flower you could open up a little more to further blur the background. Or on the waves you could drag the shutter and get some really nice soft water effects. As you will find out there are lots of cool tricks to getting great photos.

Also if I were you I would invest in a circular polarizer to change the contrast and really open up some creative possibilites!

10. mjstew33 thread starter macrumors 601

mjstew33

Thanks for all the tips, everybody!

I'm going to look into advancing my photography, and buy one of those thingy majigies quackattack said.

Interesting.
    I'll post some more pics soon :)

11. puckhead193 macrumors G3

puckhead193

Question, not to point fingers, but what kinda camera are you using, a point and shoot or DSLR or something similar like a nikon 8800. how did you shoot them?
    My friend thinks he a great photographer when using his point and shoot canon in full auto mode and he takes a pictures of something pretty like a sunset or a beach, yes it turn out nice but if something is pretty and all you do is press a button their isn't much skill.... (sorry had to bring up he was going on about it the other day)

12. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

Nice work. I think everyone needs to find things in their world that move them, to photograph, and the way light plays and shines on things seems to be something that moves you. And as a result, you make some great art. :)

I'd like to see more too....

What kind of camera are you using? Two things you might play with... I'm not 100% sure if they will make things better or worse, but for these sorts of glaring light conditions, you probably need a hood on your lens, if you don't have one. This is cheap, and it will eliminate the light that is glaring from things other than your main focus (where, for what you seem to be going after, you want the bright light). Also, a polarizing filter, which will reduce / eliminate the glare, might be fun to play with, since as you rotate it, you can selectively get rid of glare from some sources and not others. Also cheap. :)

Also, for the flower, if you have something like photoshop, this kind of picture will benefit a lot from unsharpen mask -- it will really make the pistil pop out from the flower more, which is hard with such a monochromatic flower. It also might look a little better if you boost the red in the highlight areas, and darken the shadows a little bit (use the color variations tool). I'll try to take a pass at the posted version to show you what I mean.

I think it seems, initially, like you should be able to do everything in camera, but there're some really legitimate artistic things that need photoshopping, to compensate for what you would normally do in developing the film.

Anyway, it seems like you had some fun on your vacation, so that's awesome. And definitely post more stuff. :)

EDIT: Perhaps something like the attachment?

Attached Files:

13. mjstew33 thread starter macrumors 601

mjstew33

Will post some in the next 15 minutes :).

Yes, I do have Photoshop CS. Not very sure how to work with it though. ;) :confused:

Give me five and I'll photoshop them to make 'em smaller :).

Well, maybe more than 5 minutes, because.. there are 10 pictures here, :cool:

14. Mydriasis macrumors 6502

Mydriasis

check out...

www.worth1000.com

They have a section on photography and some of the people there are very talented. It's also lots of fun to participate! Plus those guys always have awesome tips on how to improve. I personally like to photoshop contests more, but hey thats why they have both.

have fun

15. ZoomZoomZoom macrumors 6502a

ZoomZoomZoom

It doesn't look like you're using a DSLR for these, so there are some limitations as to what you can actually do. If your "P&S" camera has manual features (as a few of them do now), then you can toy around with the shutter speed and aperture more. Larger aperture/slower shutter on flower, smaller aperture/fast shutter speed on water+rocks in my opinion. If you do have a DSLR, a lens hood would be good, along with a circular polarizer and maybe an 81A warming filter. Put grid lines on (if it's a setting on your camera) to help with composition as the previous posters have said, and also to make sure that your horizon is straight. (The lower two pictures are slanted, with the right one slanted noticeably.) The pictures look nice, though - definately post some more.

16. mjstew33 thread starter macrumors 601

mjstew33

Will post some in the next 15 minutes :).

Yes, I do have Photoshop CS. Not very sure how to work with it though. ;) :confused:

Give me five and I'll photoshop them to make 'em smaller :).

Attached Files:

17. mjstew33 thread starter macrumors 601

mjstew33

here are the other 5... 1 more coming after this :)

Attached Files:

18. mjstew33 thread starter macrumors 601

mjstew33

the last one out of this batch, i promise :p

Let me know if you would like EVEN more, haha

Attached Files:

19. mbl42 macrumors 6502a

20. puckhead193 macrumors G3

puckhead193

i wanna go back to hawaii now...thank for reminding me how great it is!
    What island(s) did you go to? I've been to the big island, kaui and hannaluu (sp)

21. mjstew33 thread starter macrumors 601

mjstew33

I went to Maui! Second time I was there. GREAT PLACE TO STAY!

this time I stayed at a condo, but if you go to Maui and want to stay at a hotel go to the Grand Wailea

They have some picasso paintings there :cool: :p :D

22. puckhead193 macrumors G3

puckhead193

i officially hate you! that's the hotel i want to stay at :eek: :mad:
    How was it? Did you go on the slides and the tarzan thing..... What about the spa? Did u go up to halilakala (sp) the volcano thing. I want go at sunrise and then bike down...

edit - i don't really hate you... ;)

23. mjstew33 thread starter macrumors 601

mjstew33

:D

I know yo u don't hate me :p

IT WAS A W E S O M E. I went to Haliakala, did the helicopter tour, and LOTS of snorkeling :D.

GREAT vacation, that stupid plane ride, ugh, VERY LONG. Would've been shorter if I'd've had this iBook.

Oh well.

24. wdlove macrumors P6

wdlove

Again a very nice set of additional pictures, lilstewart92. ;) I appreciate the pleasure of vicariously getting to enjoy your vacation to Hawaii. The plane ride would get to me also. My wife had a grandfather and step grandmother that used to spend the Winter there, a place away from there place on Cape Cod.

25. mjstew33 thread starter macrumors 601

mjstew33

Yeah that would be nice to spend a SEASON there, haha.

Thanks for all the comments everybody! :)