Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Josh Kahane

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Aug 29, 2006
Suffolk, UK
Hi

Im new to programming, but I have a game idea in mind which is really quite good I think, even though its simply, there are many like that on the App Store.

I just wanted to know wether being able to make moving graphics on the screen was a beginner thing, amateur or a professional thing. What kind of level do you need to be to grasp this, and what knowledge do you need other than Objective-C.

Any help much appreciated, thanks.

Josh Kahane

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Aug 29, 2006
Suffolk, UK
Ok thats not to bad, thanks. Wheres a god place for me to learn how to link up my graphics to my program in xcode? And where can I learn to make my graphics animated within my program? Thanks.

Josh Kahane

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Aug 29, 2006
Suffolk, UK
Wow, they are great thanks. Do you know any good books to lean me in that direction? I want a book that will help me learn how to do these things, make simple 2D games for the iPhone.

dejo

Moderator emeritus
Sep 2, 2004
The Centennial State
Wow, they are great thanks. Do you know any good books to lean me in that direction? I want a book that will help me learn how to do these things, make simple 2D games for the iPhone.
I suggest you look to books (and tutorials, etc.) not to lean you in a certain direction but to provide you the foundations from which many things are possible. Then it's up to your ingenuity and talent to take it from there.

Josh Kahane

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Aug 29, 2006
Suffolk, UK
Ok sounds good, but after I have read Programming in Objective-C and Cocoa Programming for OS X, can you recommend a book for how to make games please or work with graphics on the iPhone?

I think its on quartz or OpenGL, you tell me I don't know wan to look for. :) Keep in mind I wan to make 2D games to begin with if that makes any difference. Thanks.

davejas69

macrumors newbie
Feb 19, 2009
I don't think there are any such books specifically about making games.
Dejo's advice was good I think. If you learn the basics they can be applied to
making games or anything else.

Josh Kahane

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Aug 29, 2006
Suffolk, UK
Ok thanks guys, Ill get the grips with Objective-C and Cocoa for now and then go from there and see what I can do. Wish me luck.

dejo

Moderator emeritus
Sep 2, 2004
The Centennial State
Ok thanks guys, Ill get the grips with Objective-C and Cocoa for now and then go from there and see what I can do. Wish me luck.
When you're done with those there IS a book you might want to look into called "Programming with Quartz: 2D and PDF Graphics in Mac OS X" by David Gelphman and Bunny Laden but I have no idea if it's any good.

simplymuzik3

macrumors 6502a
Jan 29, 2009
okay, I just got into iPhone programming and I have never done objective c before. I found some tutorials on how to make objects move on the screen, but does anyone know how to make them dissappear or "unload" after they get off the screen. ex. there are squares that go straight up from bottom to top. They originate off the screen at the bottom, and after they leave the top of the screen, they go away. Would it automatically "unload" the objects for me, or what code do i need?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.