new to RSS & need help

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by rassoodock, Mar 20, 2007.

1. rassoodock macrumors member

I am new to the whole RSS thing and, even after a bit of research, am not entirely sure what it's all about (but I have an idea).

Would anybody care to suggest a simple, but good OSX RSS reader application for me. While I certainly prefer free, if the best costs a few bucks - then so be it.

Any help with this selection or other RSS tips would be most welcome.

Thanks,
    Michael

2. clevin macrumors G3

clevin

i think if u search www.macupdate.com or www.versiontracker.com for "RSS", u can find a lot of them.

I, personally, don't really like RSS. for my computer, both my firefox+newsfox and Thunderbird have full RSS function.

3. tehybrid macrumors member

i never did like RSS for anything except podcast, BUT then i bought Newsfire ($19) and it rocks! I love this app! It i seasy and slick and fast. I tried NetNewsWire, the most popular, and hated it. I didnt like the UI and it was just quirky. There is a free version though, NetNewsWire Lite. also Vienna and RSSOwl are free, but neither I liked. Newsfire is really nice and inexpensive. That app created me into a RSS junkie. I know an more of a news whore then before and suscribe to 100+ feeds.

Kevin

4. njmac macrumors 68000

njmac

The best thing for me is to use Safari.

1. Under "view" enable "show bookmarks bar" if it's not already enabled.

2. make a folder titled RSS in your bookmarks bar.

3. Go to a website with RSS, example: wilshipley.com

4. In the url field where you typed your url, at the right will be a blue button that says RSS. CLICK that button.

5. Now drag that page (by clicking and dragging the favicon) into your RSS folder in your bookmarks bar.

Now every time any site in your folder is updated, you will see a number next the bookmark which represents new articles.

If you have, say, 10 sites you want to track - you can hit the "view all RSS articles" at the bottom of your list, or click individually on each site.

The beauty of RSS is that you don't have to keep checking sites to see if they have updated. For example, the site I mentioned above (wilshipley.com) may update 3X in a week, or no posts for 2 months. I enjoy reading his blog though... so I subscribe. It keeps me from constantly checking to see if he updated. I have 12 blogs in my RSS reader and RSS is the only way I can really keep up. If I had to keep checking each one every day, I would never do it.

5. epochblue macrumors 68000

epochblue

If you're only following a few feeds, I'd just use Safari.

If you want a standalone reader or have a fair number of feeds to follow, the best freeware options I've come upon is Vienna, or NetNewsWire Lite.