New to Safari, how do you update the browser?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by SandersHokie, Jan 28, 2007.

1. SandersHokie macrumors 6502

In firefox you could just click the check for updates. How do you do it in Safari?

right now i am using 2.0.4.

thanks.

2. Father Jack macrumors 68020

Father Jack

Personally I would stick with Firefox :)

FJ

3. swiftaw macrumors 603

swiftaw

2.0.4 is the latest version. Updates come through Software Update when they are available

4. Peterkro macrumors 68020

Peterkro

Your using the latest Safari,software update will take care of it automatically.If you want to be on the bleeding edge,download the nightly builds of webkit.

http://nightly.webkit.org/

5. blackstone macrumors regular

I wouldn't recommend downloading the WebKit nightlies. They're unstable and very much in flux, so the main effect of downloading the nightlies will be to reduce the stability of Safari and generate possible incompatibilities. Sure, some people might like being on the bleeding edge just for bragging rights, but 99% of users are better off just using Software Update and sticking to the stable versions.

6. MACDRIVE macrumors 68000

MACDRIVE

I like that. :)

7. clevin macrumors G3

clevin

system update will detect the new version of safari, but safari's major upgrade (not 0.0.x upgrade) almost always come with new version of OSX, so, it is slow in upgrading.

8. pengu macrumors 6502a

the nightly binaries dont touch the system version of webkit or safari. it is a self-contained app called WebKit.app

as for the rest of the conversation. personally i use safari at home and firefox at work. i like the ability to sync my bookmarks with .mac, and the keychain integration.