New to site, need help with G3/G4?

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by cadillaccory, Jan 29, 2007.

1. cadillaccory macrumors newbie

Hi,
    My mom just gave me her iBook and I am completely dumbfounded. I have looked all over the internet trying to find out what she gave me. On top of that, she happened to have tripped over the A/C adapter right before she gave me and needless to say it was funked. I purchased a new A/C adapter off of eBay and think that I may have ordered the wrong piece. I got the exact model number off of the factory adapter Model Number 8482 and purchased another company's version that supposedly works with this computer. I think I purchased the wrong one as it is a 45W, and I think I might need a 65W. I just don't know, hence that is why I am here. I had it plugged in for 10 minutes and it wouldn't start, so that is why I am thinking it is the wrong plug. Can I have caused any damage? Also, I can't find a model number anywhere except for A1005. Does anyone know what I have? Any and all help is greatly appreciated. Thanks
    -Cory

2. fivetoadsloth macrumors 65816

fivetoadsloth

go to the apple logo in the upper left hand corner and hit about this mac, thatll ttell you what you have. Im not sure about the power adapter though.

3. Lovesong macrumors 65816

Lovesong

Can you turn the computer on? If so, then click on the apple (top left), and select "About this Mac", then click "more info", and you'll find out what the processor, machine model, etc. is.
    If the computer won't start, look under the battery. Your serial number, and about your machine should be there.
    For future reference get only Apple power adaptors. Those cheap knock-offs can sometimes fry your power supply. That would be bad.

4. Reflow macrumors 68000

Reflow

The 45w one will work on certain models. As I recall the are two different 45w ones. One had a clear plug which works on the clamshell and the darker plug will work on a G4 iBook. As for the info on your iBook you also can look under neath your battery is (removed) and check the spec's of you machine

5. cadillaccory thread starter macrumors newbie

wow, you guys are fast. Thanks for the prompt reply. Right now I cannot turn it on. I think that the iBook is 65W although I don't know. So I should not get a Chinese knockoff for 25.00? My main concern is finding out whether my 10minutes with the 45W AC could've harmed the computer. I'm thinking no, but hey, what do I know

6. Reflow macrumors 68000

Reflow

Is the 45w an apple charger? What color is the plug that goes into the iBook

7. cadillaccory thread starter macrumors newbie

underneath the battery there is no info except a serial number. The battery itself is: 12-inch iBook Rechargeable Battery Model number: A1061

8. cadillaccory thread starter macrumors newbie

unfortunately I opted for the cheapo version I found off of eBay for 15.00, but it is supposedly compatible with certain G3's/G4's
    -Cory

9. cadillaccory thread starter macrumors newbie

The plug is white and it fits into the iBook nicely.

10. Lovesong macrumors 65816

Lovesong

If you can't turn it on, there are 2 possibilities- either your Chinese adaptor was a dud, or you indeed fried the power supply. Check under the battery, see your model, and then look up under your model number to see what the correct adaptor should be. Theoretically, lower wattage shouldn't have done more than blown the adaptor.
    Call Apple tomorrow, and ask them to look up your serial #. They should be able to tell you what you're working with.

11. Reflow macrumors 68000

Reflow

If you have the serial number you can look it up on apple's site under support

12. SkyBell macrumors 604

SkyBell

No, the 45W didn't hurt the iBook, but next time, get yourself a CERTIFIED Apple iBook Adaptor, made for your model.

13. cadillaccory thread starter macrumors newbie

All I can get out of the apple store is that it is an iBook 16VRAM purchased May 22 02

14. cadillaccory thread starter macrumors newbie

Oh well, there is a Mac place that sells "vintage" ,as the guy from the apple store called my iBook, parts including the Apple A/C adapter for this iBook. 80.00 is steep though I must say. Oh well. Anyways thanks for the help guys!
    -Cory

15. cadillaccory thread starter macrumors newbie

16. Lovesong macrumors 65816

Lovesong

Just look up that number. Either call an Apple store see if they carry it, or find the exact number from an e-bay auction.

17. cadillaccory thread starter macrumors newbie

18. bartelby macrumors Core

The battery says 12" iBook, but the specs say 14.1" iBook?

19. cadillaccory thread starter macrumors newbie