New to terminal - a little confused!

Discussion in 'macOS' started by Craigy, Feb 28, 2007.

1. Craigy macrumors 6502

Hi - I've just installed MaxProg MaxBulk Mail on our system and installed the files to enable Postfix to send email via a localhost.

Can't get mail to go from Apple Mail using localhost or 127.0.0.1 and if I go to the terminal (as per their readme file) to restart postfix - I type this 'sudo postfix reload' bet keep on getting the screen below - at which point it won't let me type in my password.

I'm completely new to terminal. There is only one user on this machine - is there something I'm missing?

Attached Files:

2. tyr2 macrumors 6502a

tyr2

You need to enter your password, it's the same as you use to login, or used when creating your account (if you have auto login).

'sudo' means 'super user do', i.e. run as root. To confirm this is what you want to do it prompts you for your password. You're confirmation is cached for 30 (?) minutes so it won't prompt you again for a while.

Be aware that running commands as 'root' can be dangerous if you don't know what you are doing as you can delete/modify important system files.

Edit: Sorry just reread your post, sorry if I'm telling you how to suck eggs. It should let you enter your password fine, you won't get any '*'s or similar when entering it, just type it in and press enter.

3. Craigy thread starter macrumors 6502

It does not recogise any keystrokes - other than the enter/return key, which then promts to try again. Almost like the keyboard is locked - wierd.

4. beefy23 macrumors member

You might also want to check that the 'CAPS' lock has not been turned on accidentally.

5. grapes911 Moderator emeritus

grapes911

6. miniConvert macrumors 68040

miniConvert

Be aware that nothing will display on the screen as you type your password - not even masked characters - but the input is happening and will be submitted when you hit return.

7. Craigy thread starter macrumors 6502

Well there you go - simple as that! Thanks very much - feel a little silly but there you go - thanks all.:)

8. ChrisBrightwell macrumors 68020

ChrisBrightwell

It recognizes the strokes, but doesn't echo them to the terminal.

It's a security feature. :cool:

Type your admin password, hit enter, and see what happens. :)