new to the iMac world, best VM software?

Discussion in 'iMac' started by thatpoopmccray, Nov 5, 2012.

1. macrumors newbie

I ujust recently purchased a iMac 27inch and i would like to run windows 8 on it also. Whats the best VM software for OSX?

2. macrumors P6

MacDawg

VMware Fusion and Parallels both have their fans
    Pretty much personal preference

You can try VirtualBox (free) but it appears to be more limited

3. macrumors 68040

the8thark

I believe this is true. Both are just as good as each other.

4. macrumors 6502a

VirtualBox. It's free and works just as well. I use that for all my VM needs, regardless of the host OS.

5. macrumors member

I use VMware Fusion cause it's stable, less intrusive to my Mac, and integrates well with VMware on Windows. The last one is the killer deal for me as I tend to use it for corporate stuffs.

Other than that, Parallel is faster, has better graphics support. Choose your favorite.

6. macrumors 6502

ka-spot

Parallels Desktop

For games > NO idea..

For Adobe, Corel, M$, etc. > Parallels Desktop. But maybe there is no drivers yet for Windows 8.

7. macrumors regular

I've never used parallels but I've been very happy with VMware Fusion 5 FWIW.

8. macrumors newbie

I Vote for VMWare Fusion.

9. macrumors 6502

I bought Parallels in May and was a big fan of the program. Both Parallels and VMware run faster and offer certain advance features than virtual box.

I am no longer a fan of Parallels because their is a dual monitor usage bug in the product. Parallels has not fixed it, but the problem does not occur in Parallels 8 which came out a couple months ago. Any company that forces me to upgrade on a product that a year old or less to get a bug fix, will no longer get my money.

10. macrumors 6502

ka-spot

It seems that more and more people are happy with VMware Fusion. I'll try it too. Hope is better.