New to WOW: What kind of realm should i join.

Discussion in 'Games' started by macman2790, Dec 14, 2006.

1. macman2790 macrumors 6502a

macman2790

I just bought a wow membership and i'm curious as to which realm i should join. PVE or PVP? Is PVP more fun and is it for more experienced players?
    Can you have different realms for different characters? I know you have to pay to switch realms which is quite rediculous but i don't know if you can use separate realms for separate characters on the same account.

Also what realms do you recommend.

Thanks in advance.

2. Nermal Moderator

Nermal

Staff Member

You can spread your characters over as many realms as you like.

3. raptor96 macrumors regular

Indeed you can and should start multiple chars. I would say that you shouldn't start a second unless you absolutely hate your first until level after lvl 20. That's when the chars get exciting and you won't want to change for a while (the levelling also gets more time consuming). I would also say roll PVP because unless you have limited time to play each time you're on, it's a much more immersive exciting experience (you're always on the watch when you're in contested zones, and there's nothing like getting the drop on and beating a char lvls higher than you). Hope that helps. Ciao.

4. Nermal Moderator

Nermal

Staff Member

Conversely, I recommend PvE, as I've had bad experiences on PvP when you're level 20 and a level 60 comes along and ganks you while you're trying to do a quest.

5. Kernow macrumors 65816

Kernow

I'd recommend PvE to start with as well, to allow yourself to become familiar with the mechanics of the game. I have characters on both types of realms, so I can play how I want to.

6. Badradio macrumors 6502

I play on a PvP server, as I think PvE removes the only aspect of the game separating it from console gaming. Also, until you hit level 20-ish, all realms are essentially PvE as you stay in "safe" areas. There are a lot of threads discussing (arguing) the pros and cons, but I see PvE as an online game and PvP as an online experience. My fondest memories from WoW games have been through World-PvP encounters.
    As for realm selection, I play on the European servers so I can't comment, but I'd recommend spending some time reading the realm forums for any realms you're interested in joining; once you've filtered through all of the mindless drivel, you'll be able to see if the server is populated by generally cool people or a bunch of whiners. If I'd done that before rolling on my current realm, I wouldn't have bothered...

7. Cromulent macrumors 603

Cromulent

I say go for a RP-PVP realm. All the advantages of PVP without the stupid stuff you get on normal PVP realms.

8. phillipjfry macrumors 6502a

phillipjfry

i like pvp servers cause it makes the game more challenging
    when u ding lvl 60 you can look back and see all the troubles u had and all the attempted escapes you tried to make and in the end its all worth it when u can go back to STV at lvl 60 and smite all those lowbies

p.s. i think the idea of charging heavily for char transfers is a decent idea, so that people in t2/3 gear cant go to a newer server and smash all the opposition and be overpowered