New to Xcode , need tutorial

Discussion in 'Mac Programming' started by justmyself, Oct 22, 2010.

1. macrumors member

While i have done some very basic xcode programs a while back, I am completely lost in xcode 3. i tried apples helloworld tutorial, however it doesn't explain how to have the program take input and give output. I remember it has something to do with IBOutlets and stuff, but really i've forgotten it.

Another possibility, ( though it would be limited ) can one make a web app and include the sourcecode locally within the app?

Thanks so much

2. macrumors 68000

3. thread starter macrumors member

I'm needing a strait forward example on how to develop for the mac coming from someone with mostly scripting experience. I'm really starting from scratch.

I had spent quite a bit of time on apples website, unfortunately they don't really prove clear cut examples.

Any help is much appreciated,

4. macrumors 65816

I've heard good things about Stephen Kochan's book Programming in Objective-C 2.0. I have not read it, but I do have his straight C book and it seems good. :)

5. macrumors 65816

Bernard SG

Here's a tutorial from Apple

There's also a free eBook Become an Xcoder

But the philosophy is important, so take your time, read Apple's documentation. It's invaluable resource available for free. Quite terse but extensive.

Steve Kochan's book is good but it's focused on the Obj-C language, not much on Xcode & Cocoa.

Aaron Hillegass is more "straight to the point" IMO.

6. macrumors 68000

The link that I provided is about as simple as it gets.