New toys.

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by sjl, Aug 1, 2006.

1. sjl macrumors 6502

sjl

I splurged. One only battery grip for the 20D; one only flash (the 580 EX); and the 100-400mm zoom that I've been lusting after for a long time now.

I had a quick play with the 100-400mm; two shots that I think were worth keeping (even if the exposure on one of them was a little bit out).

This one was a pretty decent shot:
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/58114576@N00/204544620/
    [​IMG]

And this one, although a little underexposed, is still a damn fine shot in my opinion; I really must get hold of Aperture or equivalent and see if I can rescue it:
    [​IMG]

(NB: Taken in Adobe RGB, so the colours may be out on some displays.)

2. Xander562 macrumors 68000

Xander562

wow, pretty bird.

all the birds around here are some shade of brown, grey, or black. :eek:

3. dmw007 macrumors G4

dmw007

That is a very pretty bird. :)

Nice pictures sjl! :)

4. Chundles macrumors G4

Chundles

Rainbow Lorikeet - very common bird around Australia. We have some really pretty birds here, lots of parrots and lorikeets and rosellas and cockatoos.

5. Buschmaster macrumors 65816

Buschmaster

Wow, I've never seen a bird like that! Nice capture with the feeding too!:)

I'm jealous. My everest are birds and chipmunks.... Someday....

6. sjl thread starter macrumors 6502

sjl

Ooh! Shiny! Thanks for the tip; that one just jumped the queue of "gear to buy". :D

And yes, as has been stated already, the bird I captured is extremely common in Australia. The tree is a flowering gum, which is a favourite of all sorts of lorikeets and rosellas. It's amazing; the birds camouflage incredibly well in those trees - you have to have a good eye, and a lot of patience, to catch them in a tree with a lot of foliage. I'm lucky: there's one slap bang next door to me, and I've managed to catch a few birds filling a large part of the frame (not as much as I'd like, but still a fair size) using just the 17-85.

The feed is the main reason why I liked the second shot, and why I'm going to try to rescue the exposure. If I can get a similar shot with a good fill flash, though, I probably won't bother. I'm definitely going to have fun with this gear.