Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacsomJRR

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 8, 2003
San Diego
Howdy,

I just bought myself a new Treo 650 and I'm having trouble getting it to hotsync. All the software on the CD installed prior to attempting the first hotsync. After clicking the button on the usb cable I get the following message instantly on the Treo.

"unable to initiate hotsync operation because the port is in use by another application"

My previous device was a Tungsten T3 which I was sync'ing with Mark/Space's software. Could the Mark/Space conduits be messing with the Treo's newly installed conduits?

When I try to open the Hotsync Manager (not Mark/Space) I get the following message on my mac.

The application "HotSync Manager" could not be launched because of a shared library error: "2<HotSync Manager><HotSync Manager><TransportLib><>"

Any ideas or suggestions would be greatly appreciated, thanks!

white89gt

macrumors regular
Jan 18, 2006
I have a Treo 650 that I sync with my iMac and I don't have any problems at all. First off, have you rebooted the machine? I know it sounds stupid, but 8 or 9 times out of 10 that'll solve the problem. My other guess would be that it has something to do with the other software that you were using with your Tungsten. Try removing it and seeing if that makes any difference. If it doesn't, try removing the Palm Desktop software and reinstalling it. Hopefully one of those will work for you.

BlueRevolution

macrumors 603
Jul 26, 2004
Montreal, QC
white89gt said:
I have a Treo 650 that I sync with my iMac and I don't have any problems at all. First off, have you rebooted the machine? I know it sounds stupid, but 8 or 9 times out of 10 that'll solve the problem. My other guess would be that it has something to do with the other software that you were using with your Tungsten. Try removing it and seeing if that makes any difference. If it doesn't, try removing the Palm Desktop software and reinstalling it. Hopefully one of those will work for you.

just to add... remember to delete or move the relevant library folders before reinstalling.

Michael7k

macrumors member
Sep 9, 2005
Would like to assist you in syncing with your Treo as mine works well. I sync with iCal and Address book easily. Good luck and enjoy the Treo as I love my Treo.
Michael

MacsomJRR

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 8, 2003
San Diego
Thanks for the replies.

I tried installing the software CD on my PC laptop (no PDA software installed prior) and it still gives me the same error message on my palm. Interesting enough if I just press hotsync on the device itself when it isn't attached to a computer it does the same thing. This leads me to believe that there is something wrong with the treo device itself. I'm not sure what application could be "already using the port" does anyone know how to check that?

The phone is really a great piece of work. I can't believe it took me this long to finally get one!

Thanks for the replies so far. I can always count on the mac masses to help a fellow macker out:)

MacsomJRR

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 8, 2003
San Diego
Michael7k said:
Would like to assist you in syncing with your Treo as mine works well. I sync with iCal and Address book easily. Good luck and enjoy the Treo as I love my Treo.
Michael

Are you using mark/space?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.