New TV, but what?

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by rye9, Nov 20, 2005.

1. rye9 macrumors 65816

rye9

Anyone have any suggestions on what TV to get. I am considering a DLP or LCD projection TV. Which would be better for video games?

2. rickvanr macrumors 68040

rickvanr

What's your budget?

I got a 27inch Samsung TV for up at school for only $300 CDN and it's wonderful. It has lots of inputs on the back too.

3. rye9 thread starter macrumors 65816

rye9

I dont have a budget right now. I know I will be getting a 42 inch screen though. I would like to know what would be best: LCD, DLP, plasma, LCD projection, etc...

Best for video gaming i mean. Also, the TV will be HD and I will be playing video games for gamecube if that helps.

4. maya macrumors 68040

maya

I would buy a no brand name LCD TV, over 30 inches viewing size and under 1500 CAD. The no names are on-par with the name brand models without the bloated price tag, and most of the TV now offer HDMI and the usually included extras in the box.

However the best way to decide is what suits your eyes in-person, go to your local electronic store and just look at the picture quality. Something might seem to have better specs than another model however might not look good visually to you. We are see the world differently and this is one example of it.

Here was my experience I view a 37 inch LCD to a 32 inch LCD and the 37 inch looked a tad better than the 32 inch even though the resolution on both HDTV sets was the same. I believe the 37 inch was using an optical input. :)

5. MacFan782040 macrumors 6502a

MacFan782040

Go to Tweeter, they can help you understand the differences between all of that jargon.

6. buryyourbrideau macrumors 65816

buryyourbrideau

i would go with a 42in DLP Samsung. Those have the best pictures i have seen on any TV recently. :)

7. rye9 thread starter macrumors 65816

rye9

Awesome! Thank You! That was the TV I liked best anyways! :D I was looking at that same TV for at least 2 weeks now.:D

8. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

Get an LCD.

I think you wanted this sort of answer, no? Did you want a brand or something?

9. Megatron macrumors regular

My friend has a DLP Samsung HD and it is simply amazing.

Aren't the DLP tvs cheaper than similar sized LCD tvs anyway? I would think they'd be better for gaming also.

10. rye9 thread starter macrumors 65816

rye9

No, not a brand, just a type. (type of technology)

11. CompUser Guest

We have a 50" Sony CRT projection, and it is actually very good quality. Its from a few years ago when the biggest LCD TV was 42".

We have a 42" Panasonic TV in our family room and it is really nice when hooked up to my XBOX.

12. rickvanr macrumors 68040

rickvanr

I understand that LCDs and Plasma's are 'in' right now, but I've heard they don't last long. Plasma's are supposed to die after 2 years.

13. Dr. Dastardly macrumors 65816

Dr. Dastardly

And if you are really interested in LCD or a plasma I would say buy a cheap $200 tv to hold you over till the end of the first quarter of '06. All of the big name flat screen companies are having an all out price war and you will save literally thousands if you can wait.

14. CompUser Guest

Our plasma is only 1 year old. LCDs do last longer than plasmas though.

15. bousozoku Moderator emeritus

Plasma sets don't last that long in the same way that fluorescent light bulbs wear out. It's charged gas that can no longer hold the charge. You have to be very careful about which plasma sets you buy anyway, as there are many EDTV sets out there that do better with DVDs but will not handle HDTV.

DLP supposedly has some possibility of burning itself out somehow, but I've read conflicting stories on the technology but they look fantastic when they're brand new.

LCD and LCD projection sets are great from the standpoint of life. You have to be careful, though, as with monitors, cheaper sets have slower response time. Also, standard LCDs are definitely limited by size currently. The biggest I've seen is 43 inches diagonally. You also have to be concerned with low resolution. Even though it may satisfy any HDTV standard now, most LCDs for HDTV won't handle typical computer monitor resolutions.

16. Frisco macrumors 68020

All of this is so very confusing! I am glad I am not in the market for a new TV.

On a side note: What is the typical lifespan o a plasma?

17. Lacero macrumors 604

Lacero

I would go with DLP just because the term 'Digital Light Projection' sounds cool and its from Texas Instruments.

Here's to the Crazy Ones [​IMG]

18. mac-er macrumors 65816

I think the manufacturers would be run out on a rail if they were allowed to sell $3000 TVs that lasted 2 years.
    :rolleyes:

19. true777 macrumors 6502a

true777

DLP looks good, but I would still go with LCD, buying the highest resolution you can get. Both are great technologies, though.

20. ~Shard~ macrumors P6

~Shard~

The prices of LCDs is decreasing, with the sizes increasing, so that's something to consider as well. I would not recommend plasma, and am not sure myself if I would pick DLP over LCD or not - both are very god, and as with anything, each have their pros and cons over the other.

21. SiliconAddict macrumors 603

SiliconAddict

Whatever you get make sure that it has HDMI otherwise you won't be able to do high def on it in the future.