New TV Reccomendations

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by dmachine, Nov 5, 2005.

1. dmachine macrumors member

dmachine

I am looking at getting a new TV to go along with my XBOX 360 and I cant decide what to get. Is getting an HDTV really worth the extra cash? I would like to get a LCD TV that will make my XBOX 360 look its best. My current TV isnt that great and I would like to upgrade. I dont want to spend too much on it, I mean I dont want to spend like $2000 or more, but I would still like to get a quality TV. Any suggestions/comments?

2. dmachine thread starter macrumors member

dmachine

3. dotdotdot macrumors 68020

Around 2007 or 2008, all cable companies will switch to digital, high definition signals for HD programming. So, if you want your investment to actually last for more than two years, get an HDTV.

For video games, such as the XBox 360, Plasma and LCD-TV are out of the question. Therefore, you'll want one of those huge HDTVs.

I can not personally reccomend one, but at least now you know what you want.

Those big tube-TV HDTVs.

4. dmachine thread starter macrumors member

dmachine

Why are plasma and LCD Tvs out of the question for XBOX 360?

5. firststrike101 macrumors member

I have a 52" JVC IDLA-HDTV. Its sweet for video games and im sure it will rock with the 360. Its a combination of DLP and LCD technology put together, you get the best of both worlds. Thats my recommendation or at least look at LCD, I hear they are primo for video games.

6. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

So you're going to spend lots and lots of money on a TV in order to get the most out of a $400 gaming machine?

Meh, just get a classic "tube" tv, but a good one.

7. iGary Guest

iGary

I have a Phillips 30" flat and love it.

Cheap.

8. Chaszmyr macrumors 601

Chaszmyr

Plasma is out of the question (things that stay on the screen constantly like life bars and stuff will burn plasma screens), but I don't see any reason not to get an LCD TV... My TV is a Phillips LCD and I am very happy with it.

9. Jon'sLightBulbs macrumors 6502a

I actually hope cable companies do switch to HD, but I doubt it's true. TV salesmen have been saying this for years, and it's never happened. I doubt there will be a complete phaseout of 480i signal. On a 2000 dollar budget, HD is probably in the plans anyway. But there's no way HD's going to become the de facto standard within 2 years.

10. dmachine thread starter macrumors member

dmachine

It's not going to be just for my XBOX, this is pretty much just an excuse to get a new TV, lol, I have wanted a new TV for a while and I thought that this would be a good time to get one.

11. saabmp3 macrumors 6502a

Actually, it's a FCC decision that the broadcast has to be digital by some specified date. However, that date orginally was in 2004 if I'm not mistaken. There's been a bunch of speculation that the date has been pushed back for either the last time or the second to last time. There are alot of good lobbist pushing for this deadline to sell more televisions.

BEN

12. dotdotdot macrumors 68020

Thats because in 2004, high-def TVs were like 5,000 to 6,000 dollars.

By 2007 or 2008, 60+ inch High-def tvs will be a max of like 2,500 $$

13. mac-er macrumors 65816

Newer plasmas aren't as susceptible to that.

No point in buying a regular CRT as they will be obsolete for the most part in a few years (yes, I know there will be conversion boxes, but if you want to take advantage of HD....you should get an HD now). HD-CRT TVs weigh a ton so its not really practical to have them.

14. gammamonk macrumors 6502a

gammamonk

Go projector all the way! I bought a 2000 lumen NEC about a year ago, and it was the best thing I ever bought. My tiny apartment includes a giagantor movie theater! I have a PS2, which I use on it, and it's awesome. You can get a nice 800x600 projector for less than $1000. Go for 2000 lumen or more, and DLP isn't so good for high FPS games. (You get rainbowing when you move your eyes quickly)