New UI, Could It Be Any Worse?

Discussion in 'iOS 7' started by Umbrarian, Sep 19, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. macrumors newbie

Oct 12, 2012
    New User Interface is like using VisiCalc on a vt100 before graphics were invented.

No more buttons, texture, depth, color, gradients, etc. I do not want what is essentially a text mode UI.

For example, calc app no longer has distinct buttons, but lines between numbers. Looks like an interface designed in 1978 on pdp-11.

i just got a VM. It is a giant screen of white. No longer do they use color, boxes, etc to mark areas of the screen.

I cannot find a single thing about the new UI I like. I cannot believe anyone thinks this UI is better.
  2. macrumors 68030

Oct 22, 2011
    Newcastle, England.
    Well me, and quite a few others do like it.

It's all subjective.
  3. macrumors member

Nov 14, 2012
    Some people like everything about a certain logo. Does not matter if it's good or crap.
  4. macrumors G3

Jul 4, 2007
    Atlanta, GA
    Some people like everything about fake wood paneling.

Taste is subjective.
  5. macrumors 6502a

Feb 5, 2012
    Completely agree. There is no way to focus on the elements of the UI that should be emphasized. I'm seriously wondering how they're managing all their engineering resources and end up with this kind of product.
  6. macrumors 68020

Jun 11, 2007
    Why would you upgrade then? Just to complain about it?
  7. macrumors 604

Jul 10, 2007
    About the only definitive statement that can be made about iOS7 is that it's polarizing.

I see this as a problem for Apple. Prior to iOS7, iOS was, across the board, more or less liked, even loved. There were some opinions that the design was getting a bit stale, but it was never really the source of large scale vehement hatred. That's largely due to the incremental design tweaks it saw over the years...the changes were not radical, but they were changes nonetheless.

In fact, iOS before 7 was the epitome of great design. Great design is design you barely notice. It stays out of your way. iOS7 requires considerable thought in many places. It requires squinting. It requires forgetting old habits from prior versions and relearning.

iOS7 feels completely off message. Some love the new message, some hate it, but it's an undeniably new animal, and as with anything radically new, there will be haters. Some haters will get used to the new beast, but some may very well may drop iOS and Apple altogether, since many people's entire relationship with Apple is based solely on iDevices.

Had Apple stayed the course and merely continued streamlining and tweaking things instead of rocking the boat so hard, they may not have lost as many followers. They definitely would not have lost iOS7 haters if the changes were not so radical. But they did rock, hard, and people will be vocal about why they left, and those vocalizations will spread. IOS7 haters that formerly recommended iDevices to friends and family and coworkers will rescind those recommendations, and stop making new ones.

And the very qualities that made iDevices so immensely popular....simplicity and intuitive ease of use, have been compromised. This means older people and small kids won't get it immediately. That means less impulse purchases in stores for newcomers.

Where iOS inspired near universal love before 7, iOS7 elicits "cool". It is cool in many ways. But it's a detached cool, bordering on cold and lifeless. For some, this is a minty fresh breath of air. For others, it's alienating and will mean a migration away from iOS.
  8. macrumors 65816

Jul 27, 2012
    Hollywood, CA
    People hate change, this is why so many people are complaining.

In two weeks time, eyes will be adjusted, and everything will be normal.

I happen to appreciate the change, I like the minimalistic yet colorful design. iOS6 and previous was getting stale and old, it was time for a rehaul.

If you don't like it, tough titties. Go elsewhere and enjoy an unstable OS.

It's not even radically different, everything is just as intuitive as before. There is just less emphasis on little details, which doesn't bother me.

People will ALWAYS find something to complain about.
  9. macrumors 6502

Mar 10, 2012
    So fresh it feels like a whole new device. Haven't upgraded my iPad yet and it looks almost quaint now.
  10. thread starter macrumors newbie

Oct 12, 2012
    1) Didn't know.
    2) While I do not like the UI, the underlying OS features are good.
    3) Complaining about will reveal if I stand alone, or if I am the norm. If I am the Norm, it gives Apple Feedback to fix it.
  11. macrumors 65816

Sep 10, 2013
    Ottawa, Canada
    A lot of people don't follow MR and will upgrade because they always do when iTunes tells them to. Then, they're stuck.

OP has a good point about lacking all the distinguishing elements. My parents were going to get iPhones for the first time, and this won't be easy for them to pick up like the previous versions would have been.

At least some options would be nice, and easy to implement.
  12. macrumors 6502a

Aug 7, 2013
    It's fine, but there are serious problems

It's not a matter of opinion that the notes app is terrible now, do to it's being really lame.

Calendars is so bad you would rather miss dates then look at it

Just the facts.

But whatever, it's doable as Apple IS Going to fix it once we threaten them
  13. macrumors 65816

Jul 27, 2012
    Hollywood, CA
    What do you mean? iOS7 seems just as easy to learn and pick up as previous versions. When I updated, it didnt even take me a second to learn all the new things and new ways of doing things. It isn't even that radically different than iOS6 and previous. Literally is just like before, just physically different, which I love.
  14. macrumors 601

Mar 2, 2012
  15. macrumors 68000

Dec 28, 2009
    You are WRONG! iOS 1-6 was visually appealing and looked quite good. 7 just looks like a toddler designed it. PERIOD.
  16. thread starter macrumors newbie

Oct 12, 2012
    Yes, while I only mentioned CalcApp, these two are awful to use also.

I do notice Apps are not identical on iPhone and iPad. CalApp is not as bad on iPad as it is on iPhone.
  17. macrumors 65816

Jul 27, 2012
    Hollywood, CA
    Pretty smart toddler.

We were overdue for a complete redesign. In two weeks, it will feel normal.

People reject change so strongly, it's a freaking phone software, I shudder to think what kind of change you can't accept in ACTUAL LIFE.
  18. thread starter macrumors newbie

Oct 12, 2012
  19. macrumors 68020

Jun 11, 2007
    1) iOS7 was shown off months ago and all of the UI changes were clear. I see you joined MR a year ago, so are at least familiar with following Apple news.

2) Ok

3) Apple doesn't care about what you say on MR. They are not going to drastically overhaul in iOS 8, as that would show they made a mistake. They don't admit mistakes. There are plenty of existing threads discussing the hate or praise for the UI.

I just don't understand why there is thread after thread of people being surprised by the aesthetic changes and then complaining about it.
  20. macrumors 68010

Jul 23, 2011

Polarization is a step backwards compared to iOS 6, which wasn't polarizing at all.
  21. macrumors 6502

Nov 8, 2012
    Vancouver, Canada
  22. macrumors 68000

Apr 4, 2011
    This says it all.
  23. macrumors 65816

Apr 15, 2009
    Nice how someone's opinion is fact for everyone else. Thank God for generalizations.

"People who buy Ford's are stupid, PERIOD!"

See how ridiculous that sounds? Oh, wait...never mind.
  24. macrumors 601

Mar 2, 2012
    It's all opinion, no one's wrong about anything. I just think the new user interface looks cleaner and easier to use than the old one. But if you hate ios 7 so much, apple is still signing iOS 6 and you can downgrade.
  25. macrumors newbie

Jun 21, 2010
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.