New UK 'Get a Mac' Ads

Discussion in 'MacRumors.com News Discussion' started by vincebio, Mar 11, 2007.

1. macrumors 6502a

vincebio

2. macrumors 6502

jonharris200

These new UK ads are awful. Sorry, but it has to be said. :(

3. macrumors 68000

NATO

Oh those are awful.... although I did chuckle a bit at the 'Magic' one.

If you're reading this Apple, there's no need to go re-filming your ads for a British audience... the ones you had already are already funny and perfectly understood. These new UK-specific ones are nowhere near as funny. Please stop it now.

4. thread starter macrumors 6502a

vincebio

yeah, looks like apple really havnt got the ads right at all..

was willing to give them the benefit of the doubt after the first 3 but these are absolutley god awfully minging:)

5. macrumors 6502a

jamesmcd

Hmm, am I the only one who prefers the British ones to the American ones? :confused:

Perhaps because I am not actually American maybe...

I think the British accents and colloquial slang helps. :apple:

6. macrumors member

Must admit, the new batch aren't great with the exception of the our version of 'Network'.
    Loved the mickey take on the British approach of 'shout loud enough, and anyone can understand English'.

7. macrumors 6502

jonharris200

They should really get Jonny Ive to look over any new UK ads before they go out the door. The acting is awkward and the scripts are stilted. Worst of all, they are just not funny. The remakes are generally ok, but not spectacular.

8. macrumors bot

MacRumors

New UK 'Get a Mac' Ads

[​IMG]

Macworld.co.uk reports that Apple has started airing new 'Get a Mac' ads in the UK:

The new ads are now on Apple's UK website. There has been some criticism of the U.K. ads in how it depicts Mac users.

9. macrumors 6502a

justflie

I don't see what the criticism is about. I just watched the new ones and they were pretty funny. Mac didn't come off too smug and PC didn't come off being a loser by any means. Oh well. Maybe the earlier ads weren't as good?

10. macrumors 65816

cwedl

I find this funny, for those that have not watcheed the peep show, the PC is very sensible, nice guy. The mac is a loser, doesn't do any work and always mucks everything up, having to get the PC guy to fix everything for him.

11. macrumors 6502a

kwood

Personally I think the UK adds are much more funny then the US ones. Maybe its because they have a British accent.:D

12. macrumors G4

Applespider

looking through rose-tinted spectacles...
    I'm obviously in a minority but I thought these ones were better than the first UK ads. I've never watched the Peep Show and not entirely convinced about the casting... but I did chuckle at a couple of these.

I thought the naughty step was amusing as was the Magic one. The court one also at least shows a photo book which has been a criticism in the past that the ads don't show what Macs do.

The new print ads are clever too - spotted them at Victoria this morning. There's a particularly nice one about the PC having cobbled together various programs to make something (his sign is stuck together with brown sticky tape) while the Mac has iLife.

13. macrumors 6502a

Oh, bloody hell!

Bollocks!

This extension of the ad campaign is going to cost Apple "buzz" points! Blimey!

How'd you like my English accent?

14. Moderator emeritus

Because an industrial designer knows about effective television advertising?

These ads will have been focussed-grouped to within an inch of their lives, not with groups of Mac users like us, but with potential switchers and ordinary computer users... in other words, they're not aimed at you and me.

I think they're fine. Not amazingly hilarious, but that's not the intention. The intention is to portray and promote the brand. Make people feel positive towards it. How many amazing ads have you seen where you can't remember what the product is for?

These ads work, judging by the conversations I've heard in the office from non-Mac using people.

15. macrumors 65816

16. zen
    macrumors 65816

The UK ads are diabolically bad. So, the PC is made for the office and the Mac was made for home? Great! That means my Mac must be an awesome gaming machine, right? Cos it's made for the home, unlike the PC which is an office machine.

Um, right? It must be right, because Apple's ad says so.

The new ad has the PC saying fun stuff must be punished. Which means the PC must suck at games, which you can play all day on the Mac while editing your photo album.

Um....right? Must be. Apple said. The Mac is made for home.

Don't get me wrong, I'm the biggest Mac evangelist around, but these ads totally misrepresent Macs. What happens when a PC user walks into an Apple store asking for a kick-ass games machine, because the ad on TV said the Mac is made for the home.

And don't get me started on the Mac "was built for photos and music". Just advertise the danged operating system and ***SHOW*** PC users why Macs are better.

17. hob
    macrumors 68020

hob

These ad's seem a lot better than the first lot, which is great :)

18. macrumors 6502

mcmadhatter

Shame about the lack of Hijinks and Tomfoolery this time round, Love the fact that the PC comes in a plain old box though.

19. macrumors 6502a

shigzeo

can't say im much for the ads

i guess ive seen some of the usa ones and the uk ones and the japan ones and all just came off as merely a waste of time and perhaps something that will bite apple in the arse when a virus does pop up or people discover that there a bsod in apple (black screen of death - grey perhaps that pops when hardware locks).

my family has apple and pc and both get problems often enough, but recently the mac. these adds depict a utopia in the hardware/software world that just does not exist.

they are not smug, just too idealistic and iconic for a computer company that hasn't released new computers in over 6 months.

20. macrumors 6502a

Mr Skills

Funfair? You mean the advert has slot machines and dodgems?

I think the word is fanfair. :D :rolleyes:

21. macrumors 6502a

Texas04

I think the "naughty step" is actually referring to Super Nanny on ABC here in the states. She is constantly using the "naughty chair" or the "naughty something" to punish unruly kids. And since she is from the UK.. they might be poking a little fun.

Otherwise I thought they were very funny!

22. macrumors 68040

Pressure

Even though I am from Europe, I enjoy the US ads much more than their UK counterparts. In fact the UK ones left me with a 'meh' feeling.

But if it works...

23. macrumors newbie

good ads

These ads are briliant and will work as well as the American ones - guaranteed.

Watch for another bill Gates tantrum about how they are misleading unfair etc ...the first chance he gets to talk to a journalist or news reporter.

Bottom Line - The Mac is fresh appealing fun and - makes working on a computer easy and productive.

Bye Bye Windows the world is waking to the Mac.

24. macrumors 68040

koobcamuk

... English accent. England = English. American = American English. You call it British because you think your version is the norm - but it's not! ;)

Please don't be offended. I am even offending myself by clicking post. Maybe I am bored because there is NO NEWS!!!

25. macrumors 68040

koobcamuk

would this count as pwnage?