Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Max_Abt

macrumors newbie
Apr 16, 2016
Seriously, if Apple doesn´t put some serious power/performance I´ll switch back to Mic. probably get the new Razer Blade or something at the same price range.

imnotthewalrus

macrumors 6502a
Nov 20, 2015
earth
I'm trying to squeeze every last drop of life out of my 2007 MBP (and what a great servant it's been).

But I really need to update, was hoping to have something at WWDC, especially as I have a course to go in in late July that I'd like to use it for.

Oh, and in Space Grey, please!
Forgive me for being over-simplistic, but if you only buy a computer every 10 years, by all means just buy now. Look for "end of life" prices when Apple upgrades hardware in any of its hero products.
[doublepost=1460842334][/doublepost]
LOVE those wireless external displays... :p
Why not? Apple TV (3rd Gen is still $69) and an inexpensive flatscreen. Voila. "Wireless display".

peterh988

macrumors 6502a
Jun 5, 2011
Forgive me for being over-simplistic, but if you only buy a computer every 10 years, by all means just buy now. Look for "end of life" prices when Apple upgrades hardware in any of its hero products.

Well i'm waiting to see what's offered before upgrading, and may well plump for a refurb if that's the best for me....

...... but I still want space grey!!!!!

deckard666

macrumors 65816
Jan 16, 2007
Falmouth
Did reducing the size of the Kindle and TVs compromise on performance and usability?

This is what people are getting fed up off - sacrificing performance for thinness.

Yeah Amazon did - they've had to include a new battery pack with the Oasis to stop the compromised battery life!

manu chao

macrumors 604
Jul 30, 2003
Macbook 12" (Core M processor, 8GB RAM, 256GB - starting at $1200) - 2 lbs
Lowest tier

Macbook 14" (Dual Core processor i5, 16GB RAM, 256GB HDD - starting at $1500) - 3 lbs
Spend an extra $300 to get a Dual Core processor, double the RAM and 2" larger screen, 1 lb heavier
The Core M processor is also dual-core, the main difference to the current MBA processors is the much lower clock rate (there are other differences but performance-wise the lower clock rate makes the biggest difference).

Gameboy70

macrumors 6502a
Sep 21, 2011
Santa Monica, CA
I remember when Jonny Ive was a good, fit average healthy build, and not the porker he's turned into today.

Logically I think there is some supernatural force at work here, he's taking all the weight off the products he designs, and adding it onto his body!

Then again, probably just donuts ;)
In fairness, he lost far more weight between the mid-1990s and mid-2000s than he's gained back since.

jonny-ive-with-hair-macworld-99.jpg

LCPepper

macrumors 6502
Aug 5, 2013
United Kingdom
I hope apple doesn't start going crazy on the Mac line like it has on its iOS device line...

We will have MacBooks as thin as two sheets of paper knowing Ive, he's a good friend of mine, went to the same University; he's always been fixated on the finer things in life.

organic bond

Cancelled
May 5, 2007
Me, I'm looking forward to more MacBook options. I freaking LOVE my 12" rMB. For everyday travel use it is amazing. And enough about the ports. I have one adapter that I maybe use once a week, the USB-C to Ethernet for when I setup routers. Otherwise, the world is wireless now. Wireless networks, wireless printing, even wireless monitors with my Apple TV. If you need more ports, get a damn Pro. This is the new MacBook (not Pro) rumors. Ports are going away. Accept it. Also the current m-class CPU is great; runs all my apps and Parallels with Win 10 great. And I consistently get between 8-10 hours of use on the battery. And the keyboard is the best Apple keyboard, period. All my opinions of course. (Not the battery time, though, that's fact)

Glad you like it. I had that machine a about a week and was happy to return it and buy another MBA, which is for my needs MUCH better. Ports WILL go away, but as of now I often use UBS keys, plus battery life is longer and CPU more powerful. But again, good for you it works perfectly.

Reactions: TheMountainLife

Mattsasa

macrumors 68020
Apr 12, 2010
Minnesota
How do you deal with the Dell crapware bloat?

Also, is that touch screen, or no? What RAM and processor?

Thanks for any details. I need to update my '09 MBP, and am getting a bit tired of all this.

How to deal with bloatware?
Remove the bloatware

Apple needs to simplify their line up this summer

BUDGET

Macbook Air 13" (no retina screen, 8GB of RAM, Dual Core i5 like this generation, 128GB HDD - starting at $700)

Apple will really put the pressure on Windows laptops with this offering and move tons of computers for those that simply do not have the money to spend over $1000 on a laptop.

MAIN Lineup

Macbook 12" (Core M processor, 8GB RAM, 256GB - starting at $1200) - 2 lbs
Lowest tier

Macbook 14" (Dual Core processor i5, 16GB RAM, 256GB HDD - starting at $1500) - 3 lbs
Spend an extra $300 to get a Dual Core processor, double the RAM and 2" larger screen, 1 lb heavier

Macbook 16" (Quad Core processor i7, 16G RAM, 256 GB HDD - starting at $2000) - 4 lbs
Spend an extra $500 to get a Quad Core processor, 2" larger screen, 1 lb heavier

Macbook 16" (Quad Core processor, i7, 32GB RAM, 512GB HDD, dedicated graphic - starting at $2500) - 4 lbs
Spend an extra $500 to get dedicated graphics, double the RAM and HDD space), 1 lb heavier

======================================================================

$500 difference bw models, most laptops do not need customization as both 14/16 Pros would come with 16GB RAM / 256GB HDD which is more than enough for 90% of users

Apple drops the weight down as well
- 13" rMBP 3.5 lbs to 3 lbs for the 14" Retina Pro
- 15" rMBP 4.5 lbs to 4 lbs for the 16" Retina Pro

Gain an inch in screen real estate but lose half a pound

======================================================================

Apple gives consumers an easy way to distinguish bw the models:
- Screen size (12/14/16 inches)
- Weight (2/3/4 pounds)
- Processor (Core M, Dual Core, Quad Core)
- $500 difference bw each model ($300 bw Macbook 12 and 14)

Value is there, really puts the pressure on Windows laptops on both ends of the spectrum budget and high end

Man I wish I worked for Apple

Come back to me with a lineup prediction where you actually specify what CPU, don't say i5 or i7 or dual-quad. tell me what thermal design tier it is in. 4.5W/ 11W/ 28W/ 35W? etc, also it would be know that kind of thickness range you are imagining on these, and also proposed design, ports.

There is also a flaw in this lineup, you need budget and high-end options at multiple size points.

Some people what a high powered premium computer at 12-14" size.
And some people want a cheap budget computer at 15-16" size.

LOVE those wireless external displays... :p

Same they are great! not talking about apple tv

Cancelled
Jan 30, 2016
Yeah Amazon did - they've had to include a new battery pack with the Oasis to stop the compromised battery life!

Actually there's no indication yet that that's the case. Not saying you're wrong, but since the Voyage battery lasts weeks and the Oasis is listed as months, we'll have to wait for real world reviews to see what the battery life is when the device is detached from the case.

Piggie

macrumors G3
Feb 23, 2010
In fairness, he lost far more weight between the mid-1990s and mid-2000s than he's gained back since.

jonny-ive-with-hair-macworld-99.jpg

Indeed, he had a little early "Puppy fat" which he burned of, and was looking good.
What you would call a good looking reasonably fit look.
It's only in perhaps the last 3 to 4 years he's piling on the pounds.
Perhaps it's that Over confident, business lunch, no longer the dynamic WE MUST TRY HARD TO WIN side any more.

It's easy, middle age, when you don't need to try so much, to just sit back, and ride your early work, and let the pounds pile on.

Either this will be very bad and he will continue down this route, or hopefully one day he will look in the mirror in the bathroom, and think. Hey, I promote fitness, I designed (help design) a watch that does fitness.

It's about dam time I turn my life around and practice what I preach.

One thing is for sure, and this applies to everyone here also.
The longer you leave it, before you get to that moment, they harder is is to get back to where you used to be.

Looking at him now, he needs to start before he goes too far.
Give it perhaps just a year or 2 of good diet and exersize and he can get himself back into shape again.

Unfortunately, esp America and starting in the UK also now, overweight is for many starting to look normal.
Fit and healthy slim is almost starting to look ill.

Public perception is being skewed.

Reactions: R3k

hans1972

macrumors 68040
Apr 5, 2010
Apple and creating niches! It is thin enough for us! You do not have to make it thinner.. nobody cares! We want 4 usb ports, utp, hdmi ports. You want a paperthin laptop were we need to buy expensive usb-c cables or hubs just to connect a printer or a networkcable.

Very few of Apples notebook customers wants that.
If you are going to be an Apple customer in the future you have to go wireless and cloud and not rely on cables.

Printer -> Wireless / network printer
USB harddisks -> NAS / file server / cloud storage
Ethernet -> Fast .ac wireless
[doublepost=1460888145][/doublepost]
How many times do people have to complain that they want better battery life and not a thinner device before Apple actually gets it?

Once customers stops buying them.
Macs are gaining market share in a declining PC market, so it seems that a majority of customers do not have a huge problems with lightweight notebooks.

R3k

macrumors 68000
Sep 7, 2011
Sep 7, 2011
Wtf is all the bitching about slimming things down on this forum?

Who wouldn't want a thinner and lighter laptop? Imagine it was 2012, just before the Retina MBP came out and a bunch of people saying they are happy with the weight and form factor of the current design..just make it way faster!

Then a year after release, no one looked back. Neither will you once the new ones land.

And also, how much extra performance do you expect to get by not slimming it down? Not as much as you would think.
[doublepost=1460901701][/doublepost]
I didn't say ARM is superior to Intel, so nothing to substantiate there.

I also didn't say ARM will lead to better GPUs, so nothing to substantiate there either.

Dual booting: insignificant numbers. Build for the majority.

I think the age of x86 is no longer of primary interest to Apple. A huge chunk of the world has moved to mobile devices and a huge raft of people simply don't care about the chip or architecture inside their computing device: they just want it to work.

Certainly, some people need and want x86, but they are outnumbered by the folks who just want to use their devices without ever looking underneath the hood.

Look at what has happened in recent years—the stalling of Intel-based Macs, the reinvention of the iWork and iLife suites, Swift, the advance in ARM, the fanless MacBook, the iPad Pro, Tim arguing that people no longer need PCs, Steve saying that to build great machines you need to own the silicon, etc, etc, etc—and it soon becomes clear that Apple's focus is on having a single cohesive system built around ARM.

Yes, we haven't seen a stonking ARM chip suitable for a powerful laptop or desktop so far, but there hasn't been a need for Apple to build such a chip as it has only released iDevices.

When Apple is ready (this year or next), the transition will be made to ARM and most users will be either happy or none the wiser.

ARM doesn't need to match Intel in raw power (although it may do), the overall experience just has to keep most users happy most of the time. Given the love for iDevices, Apple is already on to a winner. The future is ARM.
You make a great argument, hadn't really taken the shift to ARM argument very seriously before now. It also helps that I'm in China atm, taking the metro- all these kids (everyone under 18 lol) on a packed train are just staring into their smartphones, almost all of them. Id guess the majority of them have never owned and barely used an x86 machine.

Last edited:

R3k

macrumors 68000
Sep 7, 2011
Sep 7, 2011
[doublepost=1460903813][/doublepost]
I think the Pro and Air monikers will disappear. I think they will simplify the laptops down to one line.

I think they indeed aim to simplify, but remember they've recently added 'pro' to their iPad line. I can't see apple making a MacBook Plus therefore I can't see 'pro' Monica being removed.

On that note, I'll go on a tangent. Adding 'pro' to their iPad line doesn't make good sense to me. I get it for the 12" tablet, but then to do it for the 9" tablet as well..what's the non pro version going to be? The mini? I expect that to be discontinued at some point as the iPhone+ eats up its sales.

Wonder what their reasoning is. Perhaps the iPhone will one day become the iPad as no one will be using it to 'phone' anyone anymore, lol.

Last edited:

Mac 128

macrumors 603
Apr 16, 2015
[doublepost=1460903813][/doublepost]

I think they indeed aim to simplify, but remember they've recently added 'pro' to their iPad line. I can't see apple making a MacBook Plus therefore I can't see 'pro' Monica being removed.

On that note, I'll go on a tangent. Adding 'pro' to their iPad line doesn't make good sense to me. I get it for the 12" tablet, but then to do it for the 9" tablet as well..what's the non pro version going to be? The mini? I expect that to be discontinued at some point as the iPhone+ eats up its sales.

Wonder what their reasoning is. Perhaps the iPhone will one day become the iPad as no one will be using it to 'phone' anyone anymore, lol.

The reason they call the new 9" iPad "Pro", is because they are charging more for it. Usually they just bump up the specs and add some new features and the price stays the same while the previous generation model gets a price drop.

In this case, Apple has to justify the price increase to the customer with marketing ... And what better way to suggest the average customer is getting more than to tell them they are buying "pro" equipment for a modest price increase, when the exact same model they were considering before the announcement now costs less?

They did the same thing when the MacBook Air launched. They charged more for less, but it was thinner and lighter than the MacBook, so they made that their marketing point by labeling it "Air". Now that the Air line added back a ton of ports, they had to come up with another way to distinguish the Retina MB from them, since they were now selling a MB for a lot more with a lot less. I don't think the iPads raised their price when they switched to the Air moniker, but again that was mostly marketing to set the new design apart from the older one, and presumably drive sales over the cheaper iPad 4 which most people would have been fine with.

The problem is, once they get past that first marketing hurdle and discontinue the product they previously sought to distinguish themselves from, they end up with a name that doesn't really always make sense and causes even more confusion.

2ilent8cho

macrumors 6502
Mar 9, 2016
It better have a glowing Apple logo on the lid or its no sale for me. It is why i have not bought the new macbook.

ColdShadow

Cancelled
Sep 25, 2013
the 12" rMB is not a disaster? It's a great laptop. It is not selling much, but it wasn't supposed too, the rMB is doing exactly what apple wanted it to do, and is very successful.

you say yourself it's not selling much,then you say it is very successful!
lol how do you know it is exactly what Apple wanted it to do? what does than even mean?
Apple wanted it to replace Macbook Air,they failed miserably.it's weaker and much limited comparred to Macbook Air.

it is a disaster of a product because many Macbook Air users where anticipating an upgraded Macbook Air with Retina screen for YEARS.
they wanted decent functionality of the excellent Macbook Air with a high wuality (Retina) display,without needing to buy a heavier,more powerful Macbook Pro.

it wasn't asking too much at all,instead Apple made a neutered,fashion toy laptop that is less powerful than the 2 years older Macbook Air,lacks essential and important ports without any real logical reason.

the 12 Inch Macbook has a good wuality screen and looks good (Macbook Air still looks better) but lacks real functionality of a laptop,it's basically an underpowered,limited tablet with keyboard than runs OSX.

navaira

macrumors 68040
May 28, 2015
Amsterdam, Netherlands
'pro' Monica
*chuckles a bit*

iPhone SE throws the whole naming scheme in the air and goes "wheeee". So does iPad Mini. I wouldn't be entirely surprised to see a Macbook Plus – just imagine they decide to drop the Pros altogether (or rather continue selling current models) and produce a 14" rMB with a 16 GB RAM option. Rename Macbook Air 11" to Macbook SE. Mess continues.

Gameboy70

macrumors 6502a
Sep 21, 2011
Santa Monica, CA
Indeed, he had a little early "Puppy fat" which he burned of, and was looking good.
What you would call a good looking reasonably fit look.
It's only in perhaps the last 3 to 4 years he's piling on the pounds.
Perhaps it's that Over confident, business lunch, no longer the dynamic WE MUST TRY HARD TO WIN side any more.

It's easy, middle age, when you don't need to try so much, to just sit back, and ride your early work, and let the pounds pile on.

Either this will be very bad and he will continue down this route, or hopefully one day he will look in the mirror in the bathroom, and think. Hey, I promote fitness, I designed (help design) a watch that does fitness.

It's about dam time I turn my life around and practice what I preach.

One thing is for sure, and this applies to everyone here also.
The longer you leave it, before you get to that moment, they harder is is to get back to where you used to be.

Looking at him now, he needs to start before he goes too far.
Give it perhaps just a year or 2 of good diet and exersize and he can get himself back into shape again.

Unfortunately, esp America and starting in the UK also now, overweight is for many starting to look normal.
Fit and healthy slim is almost starting to look ill.

Public perception is being skewed.
I've never bought into the fashionable belief that a person's weight profile reflects their character—that's the modern day equivalent of phrenology. We all know highly driven, successful individuals who could stand to lose more than a few pounds. We like to idolize and idealize people who've been high achievers in one domain, but the reality is that they're just as human as the rest of us, with most of the same limitations.
[doublepost=1460912757][/doublepost]
Wtf is all the bitching about slimming things down on this forum?

Who wouldn't want a thinner and lighter laptop? Imagine it was 2012, just before the Retina MBP came out and a bunch of people saying they are happy with the weight and form factor of the current design..just make it way faster!

The issue is whether the specific tradeoffs we get are palatable. No one complains about iPads being too thin because no on ever complained about the battery life. People complain about Apple's prioritization of thinness on the iPhone because battery life is a much bigger issue there.

There's much to like about the MacBook 12, but the scalloped battery design impacts the weight distribution, making the laptop slightly precarious to use on your lap since it's inclined to pitch forward (which is why I'm not crazy about tablets with external keyboards).
Then a year after release, no one looked back. Neither will you once the new ones land.

And also, how much extra performance do you expect to get by not slimming it down? Not as much as you would think.
The edge-to-edge keyboard uses shallow butterfly switched keys that are frustratingly wider than the keys on all other Mac keyboards, so even after a year of use, my fingers occasionally land on the wrong keys because my muscle memory is still fixed to standard Mac keyboards.

So yes, I'm looking back after a year, realizing that the MacBook was the wrong choice, a step back in many respects. If I don't see a compelling 13" MBP announced at WWDC, I'll switch to a current gen model, which will be a decisive upgrade from the MacBook 12.

Mac 128

macrumors 603
Apr 16, 2015
Apple made a neutered,fashion toy laptop that is less powerful than the 2 years older Macbook Air,lacks essential and important ports without any real logical reason.

I wouldn't say the ports are lacking for any real logical reason. They made it as light and compact as possible, and that left room for two tiny ports, one on each side. The irony is that technology allowed the ports themselves to do so much at such a diminutive size, allowing for such a small design which doesn't accomodate any other ports. It's just unfortunate that they were forced to keep the single function 3.5mm Jack, instead of being able to include a second USB-C port. And when you look at who Apple was targeting with the MacBook, then it makes perfect logical sense. Especially the part about having a Retina display ... After all, these are iPad and iPhone users Apple is targeting. Could Apple have updated the Air instead? Probably, but that likely wouldn't have gotten as much attention, and certainly wouldn't have been as small and light -- it might have even been heavier.

*chuckles a bit*

iPhone SE throws the whole naming scheme in the air and goes "wheeee". So does iPad Mini. I wouldn't be entirely surprised to see a Macbook Plus – just imagine they decide to drop the Pros altogether (or rather continue selling current models) and produce a 14" rMB with a 16 GB RAM option. Rename Macbook Air 11" to Macbook SE. Mess continues.

SE is likely a one-off offering. There will never be another "SE" until there is.

Apple didn't want to call it a 5x, since it was all but a 6s; nor could they call it a 6x, because it looked nothing like one. This allowed them to sell it without being tied to either.

But it's a catch-up device that exists at the lowest end of the spectrum, to be depreciated and discontinued as soon as Apple releases a premium 4" iPhone 7 to depreciate in a proper cycle.

"Plus" and "mini" might as well be "S" & "XL" for all they convey. I don't find them particularly confusing at all. Considering that they revived the "Pro" moniker for the iPad line, it feels like Apple is moving away from "Plus" and we'll see the 5.5" iPhone morph into the "Pro" likely with the same philosophy of adding the dual camera and charging $150 more than the base model.

The "mini" might get dropped and just become "iPad" now that the 9" is also a Pro. Or maybe it'll just go away altogether and you'll get a family of iPads defined by size, like the original MacBook Pro family. Then the iPhone will follow suit, as will the Macs. Until they introduce some new feature they need to market differently to set it apart from the previous models they intend to keep selling alongside it.

Piggie

macrumors G3
Feb 23, 2010
I've never bought into the fashionable belief that a person's weight profile reflects their character—that's the modern day equivalent of phrenology. We all know highly driven, successful individuals who could stand to lose more than a few pounds. We like to idolize and idealize people who've been high achievers in one domain, but the reality is that they're just as human as the rest of us, with most of the same limitations.
[doublepost=1460912757][/doublepost]

Oh yes, rich and successful in one area does not mean you are an idiot in another area.

You could be bright, intelligent and a great designer, whilst at the same times being as dumb as dog poo smoking cigarettes, filling your lungs with black tar so you die young form lung cancer.

Clever in one aspect does not make you a bright human being.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.