Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

bpcookson

macrumors 6502
Apr 6, 2012
MA
I'm looking forward to this, i wonder if the light up Apple logo will be gone? i have a 2011 Macbook Pro i'd like to update at some point.
Yeah. The glowing Apple on the back of my laptop is the only thing I dislike about it. :(

Stella

macrumors G3
Apr 21, 2003
Canada
New Macs with new MacOS running on ARM processors. Apple has stalled Intel releases to make ARM look attractive, and it has spent a good deal of time and effort working on software initiatives such as Swift, iWork, and iLife to make iOS and Mac devices work together as one.

Intel is done.
Backup your statement that ARM is superior to the current Intel line up. Also take into account that dual booting also allows Windows compatibility.

Please don't reply that Windows 10 is compatible with ARM and, because any applications have to be built specifically...

Also, please address how ARM will lead to better GPUs...

Thanks in advance

S,

Reactions: Wowereit

alex2792

macrumors 65816
Jun 13, 2009
I got tired of waiting to upgrade my 2013 MBA and got a new XPS 13 last week. So far it's pretty awesome, lighter than the MBA, way better screen, crazy battery life and finally a nice trackpad.
[doublepost=1460767417][/doublepost]
New Macs with new MacOS running on ARM processors. Apple has stalled Intel releases to make ARM look attractive, and it has spent a good deal of time and effort working on software initiatives such as Swift, iWork, and iLife to make iOS and Mac devices work together as one.

Intel is done.

That would be the best way to tank mac sales back to PowerPC days. The only reason why the platform grew in popularity is the move to x86 and going ARM would undo all of that.

Anggak

macrumors newbie
Dec 22, 2015
Out of curiosity, what do you do that requires 32 GB OR MORE RAM?

daily_not_enough.jpg

Some people need more than 32 GB memory. Or be prepared to touch the swap (thanks to SSD, swap is not too awful, but still inconvenient)

Maybe this will cause Apple to sell more Desktops?

I hope they revised the desktop pro to the right way, but seems unlikely.
They wrap iphone 6S into old 5S shape which is great way, i hope they do same things into mac pro :
wrapping those xeon e5 with PROPER tower enclosure (which is unlikely)~

Matt Leaf

macrumors 6502
Feb 5, 2012
If they reduced the bezel on the current mbp lineup, they could probably shave of some of the speaker size, and get the whole design shaved around 15.4 inch display, it'd be a sizeable reduction in footprint, especially in weight. Couple that with reductions in thinness and it would be a joy to carry around. Thinness is about weight reduction not just size, imo.

Suspended
Dec 29, 2007
I got tired of waiting to upgrade my 2013 MBA and got a new XPS 13 last week. So far it's pretty awesome, lighter than the MBA, way better screen, crazy battery life and finally a nice trackpad.

That would be the best way to tank mac sales back to PowerPC days. The only reason why the platform grew in popularity is the move to x86 and going ARM would undo all of that.

How do you deal with the Dell crapware bloat?

Also, is that touch screen, or no? What RAM and processor?

Thanks for any details. I need to update my '09 MBP, and am getting a bit tired of all this.

alex2792

macrumors 65816
Jun 13, 2009

Also, is that touch screen, or no? What RAM and processor?

Thanks for any details. I need to update my '09 MBP, and am getting a bit tired of all this.

I got the MS signature edition so it didn't come with any bloatware besides a dell support application, which is actually useful for BIOS and driver updates. I opted for the 1080p non-touch matte display for better battery life, and I don't really see any point of having a touchscreen on a traditional laptop. It comes with 2.4GHz i5 skylake, 128gb SSD(will upgrade to a faster Samsung 950 512gb later on) and 8gb RAM. I use OSX and Windows daily so I'm pretty platform agnostic, and actually somewhat prefer Windows 10 due to UWP apps for Netflix, Hulu, Sunday Ticket, Viber, Baconit and Whatsapp instead of having to use a browser. My only beef is with the webcam placement, but it's not a dealbraker since I barely ever use it.

Michael Anthony

macrumors regular
Oct 18, 2012
Australia
Oh my god would Apple just release a redesigned MacBook Pro already!! It's already been nearly 2 months over the average amount of time for updates and over a month longer than the past 4+ releases! Come on, I've got an early 2011, I'd like to upgrade soon!
Uh...
My 2011 MBP still has nearly twice the performance of the latest Macbook.
They should focus on an innovative way to make USB-C compatible with... anything else - hell, I thought they were preaching Thunderbolt, and then, this happens.
Not complaining, but they need to make the transition easier.

Reactions: canonical

Aston441

macrumors 68030
Sep 16, 2014
What?! and forego the SD card slot, displayport, USB 3.0 ports and magsafe..

no thanks..

It's cute. Which means a lot to us deranged Apple fans else we'd all be sporting $150 Android phones with 93% of the capability of an iPhone at 1/8th the price.

stfwayne

macrumors regular
Apr 10, 2011
Apple needs to simplify their line up this summer

BUDGET

Macbook Air 13" (no retina screen, 8GB of RAM, Dual Core i5 like this generation, 128GB HDD - starting at $700)

Apple will really put the pressure on Windows laptops with this offering and move tons of computers for those that simply do not have the money to spend over $1000 on a laptop.

MAIN Lineup

Macbook 12" (Core M processor, 8GB RAM, 256GB - starting at $1200) - 2 lbs
Lowest tier

Macbook 14" (Dual Core processor i5, 16GB RAM, 256GB HDD - starting at $1500) - 3 lbs
Spend an extra $300 to get a Dual Core processor, double the RAM and 2" larger screen, 1 lb heavier

Macbook 16" (Quad Core processor i7, 16G RAM, 256 GB HDD - starting at $2000) - 4 lbs
Spend an extra $500 to get a Quad Core processor, 2" larger screen, 1 lb heavier

Macbook 16" (Quad Core processor, i7, 32GB RAM, 512GB HDD, dedicated graphic - starting at $2500) - 4 lbs
Spend an extra $500 to get dedicated graphics, double the RAM and HDD space), 1 lb heavier

======================================================================

$500 difference bw models, most laptops do not need customization as both 14/16 Pros would come with 16GB RAM / 256GB HDD which is more than enough for 90% of users

Apple drops the weight down as well
- 13" rMBP 3.5 lbs to 3 lbs for the 14" Retina Pro
- 15" rMBP 4.5 lbs to 4 lbs for the 16" Retina Pro

Gain an inch in screen real estate but lose half a pound

======================================================================

Apple gives consumers an easy way to distinguish bw the models:
- Screen size (12/14/16 inches)
- Weight (2/3/4 pounds)
- Processor (Core M, Dual Core, Quad Core)
- $500 difference bw each model ($300 bw Macbook 12 and 14)

Value is there, really puts the pressure on Windows laptops on both ends of the spectrum budget and high end

Man I wish I worked for Apple

MacHiavelli

macrumors 65816
May 17, 2007
new york
Backup your statement that ARM is superior to the current Intel line up. Also take into account that dual booting also allows Windows compatibility.

Please don't reply that Windows 10 is compatible with ARM and, because any applications have to be built specifically...

Also, please address how ARM will lead to better GPUs...

Thanks in advance

S,

I didn't say ARM is superior to Intel, so nothing to substantiate there.

I also didn't say ARM will lead to better GPUs, so nothing to substantiate there either.

Dual booting: insignificant numbers. Build for the majority.

I think the age of x86 is no longer of primary interest to Apple. A huge chunk of the world has moved to mobile devices and a huge raft of people simply don't care about the chip or architecture inside their computing device: they just want it to work.

Certainly, some people need and want x86, but they are outnumbered by the folks who just want to use their devices without ever looking underneath the hood.

Look at what has happened in recent years—the stalling of Intel-based Macs, the reinvention of the iWork and iLife suites, Swift, the advance in ARM, the fanless MacBook, the iPad Pro, Tim arguing that people no longer need PCs, Steve saying that to build great machines you need to own the silicon, etc, etc, etc—and it soon becomes clear that Apple's focus is on having a single cohesive system built around ARM.

Yes, we haven't seen a stonking ARM chip suitable for a powerful laptop or desktop so far, but there hasn't been a need for Apple to build such a chip as it has only released iDevices.

When Apple is ready (this year or next), the transition will be made to ARM and most users will be either happy or none the wiser.

ARM doesn't need to match Intel in raw power (although it may do), the overall experience just has to keep most users happy most of the time. Given the love for iDevices, Apple is already on to a winner. The future is ARM.

Reactions: R3k

navaira

macrumors 68040
May 28, 2015
Amsterdam, Netherlands
Thanks everybody for the explanations, that was a good eye-opener!

I think you answered your own question.
I don't think so. "A bit low" means "I have to wait up to three seconds when switching from one song to another". It's a bit like the Jetsons: "How was the supermarket?" – "Terrible, I had to wait in line for SEVEN SECONDS"

Breaking Good

macrumors 65816
Sep 28, 2012
Imagine simulating a CCD sensor and further simulate decay of a particular particle with certain lifetime travelling in a beam with several other particles all interacting with each other then letting the particle decay and balancing momentum and recording the trajectory the particle makes on its way to sensor.

A CCD lets say 30MP (which is very small) would take about 0.5GB of RAM
A particle that travels 2 meters then decays then travels about 2 more meters and meets sensor, to record the trajectory with accuracy of about 1 nano meters (should be much more accurate, depends on particle speed) would take about 4GB of RAM.
That was just one particle there are techniques that greatly reduce the memory usage by only recording last few trajectory points to calculate momentum/speed but there is never only one particle to simulate perhaps 10^6 at any given time. Under these conditions, the memory starts to fill up very quickly. For a very tiny simulation.

Other uses that need a lot of memory is Finite Element Analysis, that is where you apply physical constraints on the system and observe its change. A simple piece of metal with dimensions of 1 meter by 1 meter by 10cm would have around 100million nodes requiring x component, y component, z component, velocity, pressure, temperature and so on depending on the simulation. All of that needs to be stored and retrieved quickly, RAM is the best place and if RAM gets full, the performance gets a big hit. A simulation that may only have taken 10 mins would now take hours or even days to finish.

And you do all this while sipping a latte at your local Starbucks?

I can't see how there are enough people doing this type of work to justify Apple manufacturing a laptop that would handle it.
[doublepost=1460805405][/doublepost]

Microsoft Signature Edition or just do a clean install of Windows 10 as soon as you purchase the XPS.

You can then go to Dell's Web site and load whatever drivers and utilities you want.

Doing a clean install of Windows 10 is incredibly easy. And unlike MacBooks, the SSD's are user replaceable on the Dell XPS series. The RAM can be upgraded on the Dell XPS 15.

Tech198

Cancelled
Mar 21, 2011
If u add metal images, stronger they will be yes ?,,, ( ...) but won't that be also add weight more ?

anomie

Suspended
Jun 29, 2010
Anyone remember when the MacBook Air was first announced as "Ultra-thin?" And suddenly the new MacBook is only "thin."
Yeah I remember and it is only logical that "thin" is always relative.
[doublepost=1460807090][/doublepost]
And you do all this while sipping a latte at your local Starbucks?

I can't see how there are enough people doing this type of work to justify Apple manufacturing a laptop that would handle it.
[doublepost=1460805405][/doublepost]

Microsoft Signature Edition or just do a clean install of Windows 10 as soon as you purchase the XPS.

You can then go to Dell's Web site and load whatever drivers and utilities you want.

Doing a clean install of Windows 10 is incredibly easy. And unlike MacBooks, the SSD's are user replaceable on the Dell XPS series. The RAM can be upgraded on the Dell XPS 15.
Cool, I buy an expensive laptop and first thing to do is installing the os..
And we are talking Windows here: almost no useful applications that come with it. Everything is to be bought separately.
No thanks.

navaira

macrumors 68040
May 28, 2015
Amsterdam, Netherlands
I have to admit Win 10 loads incredibly quick compared to El Capitan. (Not that I'm going to use it myself. But it's very impressive.)

Recent (two days ago?) Win 10 update turned my friends' computers into spaghetti though. One of them went to sleep as the update was at 91%, and when he got up it was STILL at 91%.

pmau

macrumors 68000
Nov 9, 2010
Thinner, thinner, thinner.. Oh, come on, Apple. I need powerrr inside my rMBP and not a thinner design with less power.

Can we run a petition page on MacRumors, please?

I want to buy a powerful MacBook Pro. I need ports to connect at least two USB devices.
Driving a nice external Display needs a decent GPU.

PLEASE let us setup a page outlining the need for a professional product.
Then link this page as product feedback on the Apple Store feedback form.

I really think it is time to give the people a voice that like to use computers and not look at them in awe as design achievements.

Thank you for considering

Gameboy70

macrumors 6502a
Sep 21, 2011
Santa Monica, CA
Unfortunately, better performance and increased battery life makes for a less-than-impressive dog-and-pony show when they introduce new products. Being able to turn the Macbook sideways and having it disappear is more impressive. Nevermind that it's useless with no ports, gutless with ULV processors and you need a bevvy of chargers and adapters close by to keep it running. They don't show all that at the show.
If Apple has to choose between features, they'll be the ones that are physically manifest. Thinness is an easier sell in a showroom, regardless of functional tradeoffs. Browsing in an Apple Store, the 12" MacBook has vastly more sex appeal than a 13" MacBook Pro. Lifting and holding each, the MPB seems feels older and clunkier, despite being an objectively better value. Apple knows how to appeal to our lizard brains.

Mac 128

macrumors 603
Apr 16, 2015
If Apple has to choose between features, they'll be the ones that are physically manifest. Thinness is an easier sell in a showroom, regardless of functional tradeoffs. Browsing in an Apple Store, the 12" MacBook has vastly more sex appeal than a 13" MacBook Pro. Lifting and holding each, the MPB seems feels older and clunkier, despite being an objectively better value. Apple knows how to appeal to our lizard brains.

Maybe. Maybe not. Thinness is also equal to lightness. The latter being a highly desirable quality in a mobile device. Low volume likely is the next most desirable quality. So right there is a winning combination for the average on-the-go customer, regardless of which looks better.

Gameboy70

macrumors 6502a
Sep 21, 2011
Santa Monica, CA
As for ports, its 2016, get with the wireless age.
Bandwidth is the bottleneck. I have a 300MB connection at home, so I have no problem streaming or using cloud storage. Until recently I didn't have an issue with the MacBook 12's single USB-C port. As an experiment, I decided to use my MB exclusively instead of my 27" iMac by running the laptop in closed clamshell mode to an external 4K monitor with options for USB3, DP and HDMI input. I know of at least one 27" USB-C monitor on the market, but I'm not ready to drop another $800 on it. But then there's the problem of running power to the MB while sending video signal to the monitor. Apple's USB-C multiport AV adapter uses the USB-C input strictly for power, leaving me stuck with using HDMI for 4K output at a measly 30Hz.

Most MacBook 12 customers are students, salespersons, writers, etc., and for them, the laptop is nearly perfect—it's basically the iPad of MacBooks. But that doesn't mean that there are wireless solutions for every problem.
[doublepost=1460825271][/doublepost]
Maybe. Maybe not. Thinness is also equal to lightness. The latter being a highly desirable quality in a mobile device. Low volume likely is the next most desirable quality. So right there is a winning combination for the average on-the-go customer, regardless of which looks better.
I agree, which is why I mentioned lifting and holding them. The combination of ergonomic and aesthetic advantages of the MacBook 12 over the MBP can't be denied—at least in the showroom. I do have major issues with the MacBook's keyboard and weight balance, which only become fully evident after a few days of use.

Reactions: canonical

canonical

macrumors regular
Oct 17, 2014
Uh...

They should focus on an innovative way to make USB-C compatible with... anything else - hell, I thought they were preaching Thunderbolt, and then, this happens.

Exactly. To do something so basic as connect to gigabit ethernet, you need to add 2 adapters:

* Apple Ethernet to USB adapter
* USB to USB-C adapter

And with both of those going, I don't even know if you can run power to it at the same time!? Really, without ethernet, its just a toy.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.