New user account can't log in

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by zarathustra, Feb 16, 2006.

1. zarathustra macrumors 6502a

zarathustra

I thought I was pretty fluent with Mac hardware and software, but this one stumps me.

I just got a new PowerBook G4 (hires), and everything was just great.

I have been using the machine for a few weeks with a single account when I did the 10.4.5 update.

Now, with the Trojan reports, I thought I'd finally create an admin only account and make my primary account a non-admin.

When I created the admin account and tried to log in, the password was rejected. I thought I forgot the password - so I reset it. Still won't work.

I then created a guest account without a password to see what would happen. the login screen just shakes, won't let me log in to the guest account (without a password BTW). I am puzzled. Did a re-install of 10.4.5, repaired permissions, the usual. Still won't work.

Anybody have an idea what I could try next?

Thanks

2. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

I got this on my primary account straight after installing 10.4.5 but it went away after a restart. Perhaps you need to make the account, attempt a log in and then restart, if you haven't tried that already. :eek:

FWIW, I haven't had any problems since. :)

3. zarathustra thread starter macrumors 6502a

zarathustra

Yeah, that's the problem - already restarted several times, repaired permissions, booted in safe mode. It still won't work.

:(

4. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

That's weird. Is it just the new accounts? Does the old account still work fine? :)

5. zarathustra thread starter macrumors 6502a

zarathustra

That's correct. I can still log into my original account no problem at all, but when I create a new account, administrator level or not, password or no password, I cannot log into the new account.

I tried fast user switching, login window, terminal. Nothing.

I tried to check in netinfo manager, and it seems that there is a password assigned.

(and yes, I did check my caps lock and capitalization)

6. zarathustra thread starter macrumors 6502a

zarathustra

Just FYI to anyone interested or searching for the same problem - It seems the problem was partially caused by GROWL.

After updating to 10.4.5, my problems started. did an archive and install - no help.

And then, I started disabling startup items and preferences. I happened also accross some log items - and it kept referencing GROWL. I uninstalled, and voilá! Everything is back to normal. I also ended up disabling an ATI pref pane that was installed with a driver update, and since then, all is butter.

It's weird and I do not imply that either GROWL or ATI drivers are buggy. I merely note that my combination of ATI driver update, GROWL, PowerBook, 10.4.5 update caused a problem.

Cheers