New user here with a few questions

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by Natalia81, Oct 2, 2004.

1. Natalia81 macrumors regular

Aug 7, 2004
    I just got my powerbook last night. I've never used a MAC before....whoaa! easy there...just kidding guys, I know it's "Mac". :D Anyways, so I spent several hours last night trying to get familiar with the system. So here are some questions that I have:

-Is it possible to view hidden files and folders?
    -In iChat, can you see how long a buddy has been online and idle?
    -I've notice Java 1.4.2 update in the software update. Is this the SDK? I'm trying to get my Java programmer certification and was wondering if it was already prepackaged in OS X.
    -Can one preview songs on iTunes?
    -How do you "quit" an application besides clicking on the application name on the top toolbar and clicking on "Quit <app name>" or right clicking/long clicking on the icon in the dock and selecting "quit"? I notice that when you just click the red dot with the "x" in it it closes the current session of that app, but does not stop the application from running. It is still in the Activity Monitor and the little black arrow is under the app's icon in the dock. Is there a faster way to do so? (edit: Ok I just realized there's a keyboard command next to "quit" in the drop-down menu (apple key + Q)...I know, I'm an idiot :rolleyes: )
    -Can the toolbar at the top of the desktop be moved or auto hidden?
    -How do you clear the url's from the url textbox in Safari? I find it kinda annoying when I'm typing a url and it brings down the drop-box full of url's (i.e. typing "www.m" and all those mac urls are displayed).

Ok, I'll stop there for now....I'm sure more questions will come up in the future. Thanks for your help in advance and for everyone who has helped me out in the past in helping me decide to make the switch from windows to mac. :eek:
  2. Diatribe macrumors 601

Jan 8, 2004
    Back in the motherland
    Welcome to the light. :D
    To judge by your name, another woman. Nice, we need some more around here. :D
    To answer your questions:

- you can see the idle time in iChat, just go over and it'll show
    - AFAIK you cannot listen to previews of your songs, just the ones of the iTMS
    - yep option+q is what I use all the time, also option+w to close, or option+h to hide(very useful for apps that quit upon closing)
    - the "toolbar" (menubar is correct) cannot be hidden
    all the toolbars within the apps can be hidden clicking on the rectangle on the top right
    - with the bookmarks completion you have to live I guess, you can clean your history to prevent the completion for the visited sites, but not for your bookmarks. I find it to be very usefull though.

Congrats again and have fun with your purchase. And since you already know the difference between MAC and Mac a lot of people will like you only for that. ;)
  3. rand() macrumors regular

Jul 15, 2004
    I'll throw in another couple 'o tips, if I might...

For the Java programming, g'head and install Xcode. It handles Java rather well, I think, although I must say I haven't done much with Java lately. And yes, I believe even without Xcode, the SDK is there, somewhere.

The URL's texbox, I've found, narrows its selections as you use it... by that I mean that in about a week all those URL's you never use won't be suggested anymore, where ones you do use remain on the list. So, it kinda learns. Unfortunately, I don't know where you would go to simply clear the list. That'd be nice.

The toolbar at the top of the Desktop? Are you talking about the menu bar?... I'm a little confused on that one.

4. decksnap macrumors 68040

Apr 11, 2003
    You can also use the apple+Q when toggling through the application switcher. I find this very useful to shut down a bunch of apps in a hurry.

Hit apple+tab to bring up the app switcher, and while holding down apple, tap tab to toggle through apps. Hitting apple+Q will quit whichever app is highlighted without actually having to switch to that progam.
  5. OldManJimbo macrumors 6502

Jun 1, 2004
    California Coast
    I'll add my Welcome - after 20+ on the "dark side" in found great Mac advice in a series of books titled "The Missing Manual" - these forums are superb, as well.
  6. jackieonasses macrumors 6502a

Mar 3, 2004
    the great OKLAHOMA....
    to get read of the url's all i do is clear history... go to history and its at the bottom (correct me if i am wrong)>
  7. yellow Moderator emeritus

Oct 21, 2003
    Portland, OR
    You cannot move, hide, or otherwise remove the Toolbar.
  8. williamsonrg macrumors 6502

Sep 8, 2004
    Denver, CO

Unfortunately, I don't have any tips for you, but I couldn't refrain from saying...

I'm still saving my pennies for my first Mac.

Hopefully you'll enjoy yours enough for the both of us.
  9. ijimk macrumors 6502a

Jun 17, 2004
    to preview song off of the itunes store just double click song and it plays 30 sec low quality sound bit.
  10. jeremy.king macrumors 603

Jul 23, 2002
    Fuquay Varina, NC