New User Here:

Discussion in 'Community' started by Ryan Heid, Jan 19, 2003.

1. Ryan Heid macrumors newbie

How you guys doing today?

Seems like a wealth of information here! Rules are kinda strict, though, eh? I mean, I've never seen a board with the profanity filter on. What's with that? :eek:

2. beez7777 macrumors 6502a

beez7777

the filter is there to keep the forums from getting out of control with flame wars and such, besides, there should be no reason for profanity, except in religion/philosophy/politic threads. ;)
    arn's running a pretty cool community here, so whatever he thinks is necessary to keep it going, i'm okay with it. :) enjoy the forums!

3. scem0 macrumors 604

scem0

yeah, the rules are all for the best. I kind of disagree with the
    'bleeping' out of cuss words, but I can't have everything I want
    and it isn't that big of a deal. I just think cuss words shouldn't be
    avoided, because everyone is subjected to foul language all the
    time, and 'resistance is futile'. But it matters not to me. ;) :D

4. G4scott macrumors 68020

G4scott

well, arn bleeped out cuss words, but there are still ways around it, like $#!?, or @$$, or any other combinations of letters and symbols...

These forums are pretty cool, though, and as long as nobody is insulting anyone but themselves, I have no problem with it...

Welcome to MacRumors...

5. arn macrumors god

arn

Staff Member

Re: New User Here:

Yes... the profanity filter is on because the site draws a range of people including kids... and I've gotten more than a couple emails from parents about it.

Welcome... :)

arn

6. wdlove macrumors P6

wdlove

Welcome to the forum Ryan Heid, hope you enjoy the wealth of information! It is important to protect the young children. Growing up, hearing cussing, and still to this day I think there are more intelligent ways to express ones self. The English language is full of expressive language.

7. medea macrumors 68030

medea

Re: Re: New User Here:

Funny thing that profanity filter, blocks out the common name for the male reproductive organ....
    As far as rules, try to pay attention to which forum you are posting in, for instance dont put a software rumor in hardware etc. and look at the new posts before you post an article because its highly possible someone already posted it.
    glad to meet you, take care.

8. SPG macrumors 65816

SPG

The filter has also blocked Panasonic's japanese name: Matsu****a Electronics, so I guess I'll just call it Matsu-poop-a Electronics from now on.

9. bousozoku Moderator emeritus

Welcome! Actually, as previously stated, the rules are meant to keep this place nicer than the circus it would be otherwise. People don't always re-read their post before submitting it and things are sometimes able to become not so happy.

You can use Matsusita, which is fine because it uses the Japanese government's transliteration to Romanization, rather than Hepburn style which is filtered here in that combination (si=shi). Unfortunately, the government's transliteration doesn't sound anything like the words do in real life, but that's government. :D