New user needs help with Norton & IE & others

Discussion in 'General Mac Discussion' started by huds, Apr 23, 2003.

1. huds macrumors newbie

I just received my new G4 PowerMac and have set everything up as best I know how (I'm one of those switcher people). Everything seems to be working fine except:

1. I cannot check the boot drive with Norton Disc Doctor as I cannot boot from the CD (I have installed Norton Systemworks 2.0).

2. Every now and again IE shuts down. If I restart the app it works fine.

I have looked into No.1 and the Symantec website states that as the mac is a new 2003 model I cannot boot from the CD and I need to boot from a second partition or from an external drive with OS X installed. I have two hard drives. How do I overcome this? I am not mac/computer savvy so please word your responses appropriately!

No.2 is only an occassional problem but I would like everything to run fine if possible. Any ideas?

As you can still I am still using apps that I am familiar with as an ex PC user. Should I dump these apps for something else?

Finally, how do I change the name of the boot drive?

Cheers for now.

2. unc32 macrumors regular

Internet Explorer tends to crash a lot. I'd try looking into another option such as Safari or Camino.

http://www.apple.com/safari/

I have never used the other Norton programs and would suggest ditching them. My computer has functioned perfectly for over a year. If there is a problem you can use the built in disk utility or hardware scan(something like that).

3. King Cobra macrumors 603

If you want to change the name of your boot drive (your Hard Drive??), click on the text below your Hard Drive icon (it should show as a grey plate hard drive-like icon on your desktop, or it will be located in "[whatever you real name is]'s Computer") and change the text to whatever you choose.

The icon looks like this:

Attached Files: