New user questions

Discussion in 'General Mac Discussion' started by slowtreme, May 27, 2003.

1. slowtreme macrumors 6502

I just picked up an iBook for cheap and am having a great time. I already bought a combo drive on ebay and upgraded that. I can't think of any upgrade I've ever done that was more difficult. I guess they just really want to keep thier apple techs in business ;) SO for about $500 total I got a 600mhz iBook OSX10.2, OfficeX, 384ram and Combo drive. I haven't used a Mac since my days with MacSE, I moved over to PCs because Mac upgrades were too expensive, but this was just my speed.

Couple questions:

Is there a good newbies forum? (maybe another site) I know that sometimes groups can get tired of new users and dumb questions.

Does anyone know of an addon that replicates Windows Alt+Tab? The Apple+Tab does not allow a user to switch to a minimised window (only ones that are on the desktop). I'm pretty used to keyboarding my way through a computer. Mouseing to the dock everytime I want to grab a window seems tedious.

I bought a Pro kb/mouse and a stand so I can use my iBook in Desktop form. I guess the Pro Speakers don't work. does anyone have suggestions for something similar to use?

2. slowtreme thread starter macrumors 6502

Ok so my subsiquent searches found an answer in this forum for the alt+tab in liteswitch x, It's not freeware, but it looks like it's worth a few bucks. Does anyone use MaxMenus, since they seem to go together?

3. mrjamin macrumors 65816

mrjamin

Re: New user questions (alt+tab and speakers)

Smashing, thats what we like to hear!

Well, everyone on here's pretty friendly, i was a noob until about 1 month ago! My only advice is use the search facility - people do get a little shirty at those who post questions that have been asked a thousand times before and will be posted a thousand times more.

The Pro speaker's don't work, no. I wish they did as this'd be excedingly useful. The JBL Creature speakers are VERY cool but not especially portatble, they sound great though - it depends what you're after really. They're a little pricey but $40 cheaper than the harman kardon (hehe - be careful not to spoonerise that one) soundsticks.