Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacNut

macrumors Core
Jan 4, 2002
CT
It was and we thought people would like it, but I see it's backfiring with some people.:(
I don't know why a change this big was not talked about before hand. Maybe we would not of had a problem with it if we had some input. To spring this on the forum overnight with no explanation isn't going to go over well when the system has been in place for 12 years.

The way the forum has been run lately will just continue to push the long term members away.

jav6454

macrumors Core
Nov 14, 2007
1 Geostationary Tower Plaza
I don't understand how that's true at all. Someone who "earned" a G5 over the years now finds others achieving that title with much less work. That doesn't sound like a benefit.

I agree. They should have left the existing title structure, and only added a few titles at the high end.

Mega posters in the sense are people who sign up to quickly rack up post count for the heck of it. Current users with high post count usually took years to get there (very few exceptions). I for instance think the G5 should be lowered down to 20K posts but not as far down as too 12K. The whole 2k jump is too small.

GoCubsGo

macrumors Nehalem
Feb 19, 2005
We have the list in the back room, but I'm not authorized to release it; that would be something for Doctor Q to release. :)

That sounds like a good plan. Make changes and leave the explanation in a so-called "back room" while others are clearly confused. If you think this backfired then it is because people don't get it and for good reason; there is no definition of titles whatsoever.

I never noticed the title shift. Somehow, I just never cared about "moving ranks" because I didn't feel as though there was any real rank among members short of new or not new. The ranks I know to be true are admins, mods, users.

If you all feel some weird need to make members feel as though they just got some promotion then what is done is done. I don't think any amount of bitching will change that. If you really want to make your users feel valued then perhaps offer something that is actually valuable. Such as, one free year of demi-membership for every three paid years or something like that.

Personally, give me whatever title you want and best to make it as ambiguous as possible in the spirit of MR consistency! :D

stridemat

Staff member
Apr 2, 2008
UK
That sounds like a good plan. Make changes and leave the explanation in a so-called "back room" while others are clearly confused. If you think this backfired then it is because people don't get it and for good reason; there is no definition of titles whatsoever.

I don't think it would be too hard to go back though one of Doctor Q's ranking threads that are posted twice a year and piece together what they are, but perhaps those ranks already reached should be posted in the FAQ leaving new unknown ones as a secret.

dukebound85

macrumors Core
Original poster
Jul 17, 2005
5045 feet above sea level
I don't think it would be too hard to go back though one of Doctor Q's ranking threads that are posted twice a year and piece together what they are, but perhaps those ranks already reached should be posted in the FAQ leaving new unknown ones as a secret.

speaking of which, I am keeping my eye out for the new one!

Nov 28, 2010
located
Congratulations, if that is in order. And, as an aside, just where are the user rankings listed?

How do user titles work? from the MacRumors FAQ
User titles are based on post counts:

Newbie => 0 - 29 posts
Member => 30 posts
Regular => 100 posts (minimum required to post in the Politics, Religion, Social Issues forum)
6502 => 250 posts (minimum required for access to the Marketplace forum)
6502a => 500 posts (minimum required to have an avatar)

Nov 28, 2010
located
That's not hard to do, as I'm old and slow! :D

Even with upgraded architecture?

Anyway, I thought P6 would have something to do with Pentium 6, but I still do not really get, what it has to do with Macs, even if the P6 was a foremother of past technology.

As far as I understood the user titles, they represented CPU architecture being used in Macs, and a P6 was never really used in a Mac, unless some prototypes from Apple's labs do count nowadays.

What about user configurable user titles for paying members?

dukebound85

macrumors Core
Original poster
Jul 17, 2005
5045 feet above sea level

Anyway, I thought P6 would have something to do with Pentium 6, but I still do not really get, what it has to do with Macs, even if the P6 was a foremother of past technology.

As far as I understood the user titles, they represented CPU architecture being used in Macs, and a P6 was never really used in a Mac, unless some prototypes from Apple's labs do count nowadays.

What about user configurable user titles for paying members?

I agree there. To me, after g5, would be core solo, core duo, core2duo,yada yada

GGJstudios

macrumors Westmere
May 16, 2008
that list should be known. What wants to be known is the "..." part of it after the degraded G5. What are the new ranks ?
Scepticalscribe asked, "just where are the user rankings listed?", which is what those posts responded to. The new rankings are not listed yet, but that's where they would be.
That's not hard to do, as I'm old and slow! :D
They didn't upgrade MY architecture, although it sure could use it! :D

Nov 28, 2010
located
I agree there. To me, after g5, would be core solo, core duo, core2duo,yada yada

Though I could also understand something like the names of the architecture, like Westmere, Merom or Sandy Bridge.

Strange, a change to surprise us, getting a bit of backfire from the more active members here but still no updated FAQ for user titles above the G5.
Normally this message board is more straight with us.

Anyway, user titles do not matter that much to me, only that I was keen on being a G4, in "honor" of the best notebook I ever had (G4 iBook).

C'est la vie.

----------

that list should be known. What wants to be known is the "..." part of it after the degraded G5. What are the new ranks ?

As SBG has already posted, it is up to Doctor Q, who is probably busy doing the six-monthly rankings, to post the updated FAQ and the new user titles. It is probably a new year surprise.

rdowns

macrumors Penryn
Jul 11, 2003
OK, I given this a bit of thought. I want to be a G4 again.

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Ivy Bridge
Jul 29, 2008
In a coffee shop.
Thanks for the replies to those who answered my question. Honestly, Gov, (she says blinking through smudgy spectacles) I had tried looking in the relevant section and (initially) didn't see it. Hence, my post. Oh well. and, again, thanks.....

Nor, until I read the thread (and thread title) had I even noticed that changes were (and are) afoot.......but, when my attention was drawn to it, I must admit that the 'P6' did have me wondering, firstly, what on earth it was, and secondly, how it applied as a user rank? Okay, I understand that it is all a work in progress......

So, spanking brand new rankings, and/or user titles and post requirements for these ranks (both increased and reduced) are coming down the tracks?

Well, best of luck with it.

Weaselboy

Staff member
Jan 23, 2005
California
Just dump the entire thing. IMO it just incentivizes some users who are more interested in quantity versus quality of posts anyway.

If a user wants to know someone's post history, they can click their user name for the stats.

Peace

Cancelled
Apr 1, 2005
Space The Only Frontier
I don't know why a change this big was not talked about before hand. Maybe we would not of had a problem with it if we had some input. To spring this on the forum overnight with no explanation isn't going to go over well when the system has been in place for 12 years.

The way the forum has been run lately will just continue to push the long term members away.

The longer one waits to upgrade things the bigger the FUBAR becomes.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.