Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mikeheenan

macrumors 6502
Aug 8, 2007
So if I have this right...

I can buy a Verizon iPad and when I really need data, just use my AT&T iPhone's SIM card to get some for a few minutes? Basically swapping out a small screen for a big one?

This...really seems too good to be true.

Yeah totally. This is kind of strange because ATT does not allow you to tether your Iphone data (unless you actually pay for the tethering plan). On the other hand.... it kind of makes sense because I could pop out the sim on my 4S and use it on another ATT smartphone with microsim holder, right? Dang now I kind of regret getting the wifi only model this morning...

alric

macrumors member
May 10, 2004
I wonder if the Hotspot function will work on the Verizon iPad with the AT&T SIM.

Robin4

macrumors 6502
Feb 6, 2010
RTD-NC
This _should_ be the case.

I'll be traveling to Japan in the next few months and this is what I'd like to be able to do - but I don't want to use AT&T in the states any more.

Thanks. It would be great to have a choice. Now we just need a guinea pig willing to try it. ;)

astrorider

macrumors 6502a
Sep 25, 2008
ATT started disallowing you to use your iPhone micro-sim in the iPad awhile back. I used to do it between an iPhone 4 and an iPad. I doubt the new iPad will be any different in this regard.

Johnny Steps

macrumors 6502a
Jun 29, 2011
Wirelessly posted (iPhone 4S White 16GB: Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9B179 Safari/7534.48.3)

What do you change the apn to? Like for someone wanting to use their AT&T sim

sigma8

macrumors regular
Feb 2, 2005
My unlimited Verizon 4g sim doesn't work.. says it need to activate an account, even though it got a data connection. :mad: oh Well

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I thought Verizon's domestic network didn't use sims.. Was this only for their 3G network? I thought the SIM was just kind of a dummy sim that was in there for international roaming, i.e. it wouldn't know about your domestic phone plan.

Johnny Steps

macrumors 6502a
Jun 29, 2011
Wirelessly posted (iPhone 4S White 16GB: Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9B179 Safari/7534.48.3)

astrorider said:
ATT started disallowing you to use your iPhone micro-sim in the iPad awhile back. I used to do it between an iPhone 4 and an iPad. I doubt the new iPad will be any different in this regard.

Wait so what happens? Do they kill you?

Digidesign

macrumors 6502
Jan 7, 2002
<debbiedowner>
ATT will know it's an iPad whether it's ATTs or Verizon. So while it's possible, it doesn't mean it will continue to be so, especially after making the front page of macrumors.
</debbiedowner>

sigma8

macrumors regular
Feb 2, 2005
Awesome, now you can pay 2 monthly bills for 1 ipad. Brilliant!

I was planning to do this so I could milk my AT&T unlimited plan (from my iPad 1) for as long as it's "good", but when AT&T makes it suck so bad that I don't want it anymore, I would probably want to switch to Verizon.

Only way to do that, far as I can see, would be to put my iPad 1's micro-sim into a Verizon iPad (and have it work). Which is exactly what this article is about, so yeah, it is awesome, and no it's not about 2 bills for 1 iPad.

Only problem is, without any kind of statements of intent, we have no way to know if this will get locked down later.

weave

macrumors regular
Jan 4, 2003
International use

Good. That means I can get a local SIM when traveling or even use AT&T when traveling. AT&T's roaming rates are much cheaper for data than Verizon's. In fact, I almost went with AT&T for my new iPad than Verizon over this issue. Now I'm a happy camper!

So how does this work though.... if it can't use Verizon's data network it will search out for networks on the SIM card?

I'm wondering if I should move my SIM from my iPad first gen into my new 3rd gen Verizon iPad.

Mark Booth

macrumors 68000
Jan 16, 2008
So if I have this right...

I can buy a Verizon iPad and when I really need data, just use my AT&T iPhone's SIM card to get some for a few minutes? Basically swapping out a small screen for a big one?

This...really seems too good to be true.

Yes, you can do that. But you also have to change the APN to AT&T (easy to do) and switch it back when you want to use it on Verizon again.

The "too good to be true" part comes in when AT&T sends you a text message and/or email warning you about using your iPhone's SIM card in a different device. If your AT&T iPhone data plan is the original UNLIMITED plan, AT&T will likely send you that text message or email VERY quickly. A message warning you that continued use of the SIM in the wrong device could result in the SIM card being locked out (won't work in ANY device). If your AT&T iPhone data plan is limited, then AT&T may or may not bother sending you a warning.

There's no free lunch. AT&T already proved that when folks tried using their unlimited data iPhone SIM cards on the iPad 2 for AT&T. The text messages and emails came quickly.

But I highly doubt that AT&T will complain if you get a new SIM card for iPad and actually purchase data from them for specific use with that iPad. Why would they turn down your money? Answer: They won't.

Mark

jent

macrumors 6502a
Mar 31, 2010
The original article quotes the person who posted the video, saying:
I used my ATT iPhone 4S sim card and took out the Verizon sim, and data worked! You must apply the AT&T APN carrier settings before this works though.
My question is, how can I do that using my iPhone 4 micro-SIM in my first-generation AT&T iPad? In the iOS 3 days I was able to change some settings and pop my iPhone micro-SIM into the 3G iPad for access to the data network but with iOS 4 and 5 I can't seem to. Any instructions on how to do it?

RedGeminiPA

macrumors member
May 17, 2009
Altoona, PA
Since the AT&T version uses 700MHz and 2100MHz, wouldn't it be possible to use a Verizon LTE SIM in an AT&T iPad?

AT&T doesn't have LTE in my area (surprise!), but Verizon does nearby. I'm thinking maybe get the AT&T version for general use (when needed), but get a Verizon SIM for areas with LTE.

In theory, this should work. Shouldn't it? Unlocked is unlocked, right?

Trust me... I'll take AT&T's 3G/HSPA+"4G" ANYDAY over Verizon's CDMA network. Otherwise, I wouldn't touch Verizon's service with a 10' pole in my area.

shenan1982

macrumors 68040
Nov 23, 2011
Remember folks, like with the Sprint iPhones, they can (very) easily push out a lock, that may be the plan. I'm not sure why anyone would buy a verizon version if their intent is to put in an AT&T sim.

Since they're the same cost, it makes sense to buy the ATT version because past tells us it'll remain unlocked. If you buy the Verizon one, they can easily just push out a SIM lock and you're screwed. I feel like it's unlikely, but on a $829 purchase I'd rather not take the chance since I'm in SF and AT&T and VZ LTE both work fine. I need to be able to stay unlocked to use while I'm overseas.

But for someone with Verizon who travels, if the device stays unlocked that's GREAT news for them!

JPRain

macrumors newbie
Mar 16, 2012
Clear

I don't know anything about cellular data... So, I'm wondering if this means that my ATT iPad 3 could be put on Clear's LTE. Clear doesn't care about tethering and and it's $50 a month for unlimited.

shenan1982

macrumors 68040
Nov 23, 2011
I don't know anything about cellular data... So, I'm wondering if this means that my ATT iPad 3 could be put on Clear's LTE. Clear doesn't care about tethering and and it's $50 a month for unlimited.

Negative.

BC2009

macrumors 68020
Jul 1, 2009
This is interesting, but I'm pretty sure AT&T will start canceling the contracts of folks who do this or charging some surcharge.

Personally, I go with AT&T on iPhone for simultaneous voice & data and Verizon on iPad. The CDMA service on Verizon iPad 2 has definitely been slower than AT&T's service, but I have found I actually get consistent signal in many more places.

AT&T voice service has been horrible recently with many more of my calls turning into digitally garbled half conversations. Its as if they recently lost a tower in my area. From what I've heard Verizon voice service is really good, but I cannot see giving up the simultaneous voice/data so I'm hoping that AT&T's voice service either improves or the next iPhone I buy runs on a Verizon's LTE network with total 4G LTE coverage so I can maintain simultaneous voice and data (which cannot be done over CDMA).

unlovbl

macrumors newbie
Apr 22, 2010
Let me get this straight... the video shows a BOX that reads Verizon and an unboxed iPad that displays ATT. I'm no David Copperfield but I'm not biting on the assumption that the two are related. Then again, I could be wrong 'cause everything on the internet is real and true.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.